24 | wayward babysitting

c h a p t e r | 24
WAYWARD BABYSITTING
'You broke the kid.'
__________

ALEXANDER SIGHED OVER THE PHONE, "I just don't understand your sudden need to accommodate his every whim."

Tessa, shot a brief glance over her shoulder, watching Parker, Indy and Noah in a heavy discussion while trying to sneak glances of each others cards, before she walked into her bedroom, making sure they couldn't hear her. "I'm his stylist."

"Exactly, you're his stylist, not babysitter or—"

"I already told you, it's all just gossip, there's nothing in it. It's just a publicity stunt."

"Then why did you follow him to that boat party?" Alexander inquired and Tessa slumped down on the edge of the bed, running her hand through her hair as she wasn't interested in having this conversation over the phone.

"Alexander."

Alexander breathed heavily on the other end, suddenly realizing her discomfort, "I'm sorry, it's just," he let out a groan away from the phone, before he came into focus again, "I'm just... It bothers me he spends so much time with you, and I..."

Her confusion settled when she realized what he was trying to say, "I get it. I hate it takes time from us getting to know each other, but I swear it's only until he gets the Deluca deal. Then it'll all be over. But I am sorry and I will try to make more time for you."

"For us," Alexander corrected her through a smile, that made the corners of her mouth twitch.

"For us," she confirmed and let herself fall backwards on the bed.

"Let me take you out tomorrow," he spoke up and she absentmindedly fingered with her necklace.

"I would like that very much," she admitted, already dreaming of a day with him away from the turbulent life that seemed to cling to Hale and even more far away from the paparazzi's grasp.

"There's still so much to learn about you, Tessa, and I can't wait to find out," he admitted and Tessa smiled genuinely by his interest, though she felt a small warning jab to her stomach.

"Not that there is that much to know," she tried, though she could almost hear the shake of his head.

"I don't—"

"Tessa!" Indy ran into the room and flung her arms dramatically. "We need to go into alliance! They're ganging up on me."

The jab that accumulated into full blown waves of agony, soon settled in gratitude by Indy's interruption.

"Tessa?" Alexander tried to gain her attention again, after detecting Indy's shrill voice through the phone.

"Which is why you thought leaving both our cards unattended was a good idea?" Tessa crooked a brow at Indy, who stopped flailing her arms to think over her less clever move, before she hurried back into the living room.

"Come on or they're gonna stack the deck!" She yelled, and Tessa got up from the bed.

"I'm sorry, Alexander. I have to go. Leaving three kids unattended for longer periods of time can only be a recipe for disaster," she said, relieved to have an excuse to cut off the phone call.

"It's okay, I can't wait for tomorrow."

A hesitant frown flittered over her features and she lightly scowled at her reflection in the mirror, "Me neither," she weakly responded, lingering on the thought of how to approach the subject Alexander was sure to bring up too soon for her liking before ending the call to go back into the living room.