01 | moaning hippos

c h a p t e r | 01
MOANING HIPPOS
'You sound like a moaning hippo.'
__________

"SERIOUSLY THOUGH, WHY NOT?" Parker's voice sounded thoroughly disconcerted over the phone and Tessa rolled her eyes. She repositioned her body, wriggling a little closer so she could better reach her toes. Her face was scrunched into a grimace of deep concentration as her tongue was sticking out together with a forming crease on her forehead as her eyes stayed transfixed on the project at hand.

"Park, don't you have anything else to do than to annoy me on a Sunday evening?" She mumbled into the phone, nudging it so it settled better in between her ear and shoulder, while she applied her nail polish.

This Sunday was a gift sent from heaven with no work, no functions, no nada, just pure relaxation. Yet, here she was, clearly picturing the small pout which illuminated the distinctive features that made up her best friend, though she could not see him. For what had already been half an hour she had listened to him with half an ear as she went about her pampering session.

"Aw!" She erupted as a sudden spasm went through her leg, causing it to jump and attempted to battle both bottle and phone. "Oh man, now I have to redo my toe all over again," she complained as she looked at her now smeared toe, and let out another huff as she waddled her way over to the bathroom to get the nail polish remover and some cotton pads.

Parker breathed out a slight chuckle on the other end of the line, clearly finding her setback amusing. "You know, we do live in the 21st century, right?" He drawled smugly, always amused by his friend's weird antics.

Tessa let out another sigh as she noticed Indy once again had not restocked the container and jumped onto the toilet seat to reach the top shelf of the cabinet.

"Today, the phone comes with this new feature that's called a speaker. It allows you to have your hands free to do whatever while still stringing up an uninterrupted conversation," Parker, the know-it-all's voice informed over the phone with an undertone Tessa knew all too well, however she settled with yet another eye roll. Finally, getting a hold of the cotton pads, she jumped down, heading back to her couch.

"The quality has gotten quite good too, rarely no static," he carried on unaware of Tessa's mission.

Knowing fully well how Parker's face was cracked with a smirk well planted on his full lips as he chipped away merrily, she felt seconds away from wanting to choke him.

"Thanks!" She clipped and punched the speaker button before dropping it down on the table, eyeing it with satisfaction by Parker not knowing he was once again talking to himself while she dapped away the spoiled polish.

"Hey!" Parker yelled through the phone, obviously realizing her focus was once again elsewhere.

"Mmh?" Tessa mumbled, applying the final coat of her polish. This time without a smear or blob.

"Are you even listening?" Parker huffed through the phone and Tessa shook her head. Parker was like a dog. Not once able to make do on his own. Always had to be entertained and acknowledged otherwise he might just start peeing on the floor for attention.

She let out a slight giggle by the thought that Parker might even be more poorly mannered than Mrs. Livingstone's retriever pup.

"Why are you giggling? It isn't funny!"

"I really am liking this electric blue," she mused out, ignoring him grumbling on the other end as she admired how the color glinted in the light from the lamp and she could not wait to see how well it went with her new sandals.

"Yeah! I find it remarkably intriguing," Parker hooted from the small device on the table. "I mean who knew there were so many different kinds of blue? Sapphire, cobalt, marine, royal and now behold! Electric blue!" His voice was laced with heavy sarcasm and underlined with a high pitched squeal which should imitate one of a cheerleader.