Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen 

        Danni’s POV

Now it has been forty-nine hours, seventeen minutes, and thirty-three seconds since I have last seen Jace and I feel myself going into a depression. I took a detour and went through Mobile. I have always loved the city; you can see the different historic architect styles and it is home to the original Mardi Gras. Another thing I love about the city is the history that is all around.

Once I am out of Mobile, I know that it will take about an hour and as half to make it to the house. I take the back roads again since I didn’t feel like getting stuck in traffic due to a festival going on in one of the small towns. There is something always going on and traffic is always crazy there especially on a Friday afternoon.

I finally make it to Orange Beach and stop at the store. I pack the buggy with frozen meals, what is the point of cooking good meals when you are alone. I also get three tubs of ice-cream and every type of candy you can think of.  I quickly pay when I notice a guy checking me out and I really want to punch him in the throat. I pack everything in the trunk and leave before the guy comes out, I don't wait any attention. For the next twenty minutes, I drive around to make sure no one is following me and then I head towards the house.

As I pull up the drive, a smile spreads on my lips as I remember when my parents were first building it, I thought it was going to be a giant doll house. I was really disappointed when I found out it was just a house.

When you first pull up you will see a two story house on wooden pillars; down here almost everything has to be built high since hurricanes are a norm. The nearest house is about a mile away so I am pretty much alone. The siding on the house is painted a pretty lime green with crisp white trim and a bright tangerine front door. The pouch goes all the way around the house and on the second story there is a screen in pouch off the master bedroom. 

The beach is the only place where you can get away with vibrant color and not have it look weird or out of place. Beyond the house is a pier that goes out about twenty feet and there is a place where a boat can be tried off to. All around the house is white gravel and the grass needs to be cut. Maybe while I’m here I’ll clean it up a bit.

Jumping out of the car, I walk over to the tree that has a hidden box in the hole of the trunk and push a button that opens the garage door that is under the house. Once I get inside the garage, I shut the door and grab my bags and food and head up the stair that leads to the kitchen. I put all the food away and then walk around the house cleaning up dust. I guess I am trying to do something to keep my mind busy and not think of Jace.

After an hour of cleaning, everything is to my liking so I make my way to the back pouch and watch the sunset. I can hear the frogs coming out and in the distance you could see dolphins jumping in the bay. Once again I found me crying and yearning for the touch of Jace’s hands. He hand wonderful hands, they were strong from working with them, but they were also gentle when he would touch me. I miss when he wouldn’t shave for a day or two making him look mysterious with his five o’clock shadow. Also I loved when he would read something and he would rub his hand along the side of his face without realizing what he was doing.

I really should stop thinking about him.

When the sun finally sets, I go back in and I can’t decide whether to cook a frozen meal or skip that and go right to the ice-cream and candy. Screw it; I seize the tub of chocolate cover cherry ice-cream and grab the bag of pixie sticks and sit on the couch. I find a marathon of I Luv Lucy shows and settle into a long night of sheer depression. I better get used to being alone; maybe I should adopt a bunch of cats and train them to do circus acts. Hmmm that won't work since I am allergic to cats and I don't like clowns.

Sighing loudly, I turn my attention back to Lucy and Ricky. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but I doubt since Jace isn’t here.

                Jace’s POV

It has been almost three days since Danni left and I am going crazy. I’ve been snapping at everyone who talks to me and there have been times where I would nearly shift into my wolf from rage. It’s killing me not knowing where she went. When it comes to Danni hiding, she’s a master at it.

Groaning, I stand from my office chair and look out the window. Since Danni left the house has been too quite. There is no laughing, no joy, and no contentment. When she came here, she brought an energy that hasn’t been here since mom died. I have to find her before Jeremy does. The thought for him even touching her makes my wolf shakes with anger.

I am brought back when there is a knock on the door. Turning to see who it is, Gretchen walks in without permission. She is the only person who isn’t afraid to stand up to me; it’s funny how much Danni is so much like her. I guess my wolf knows that she can control fire and doesn’t want to burn to death.  

“How are you doing Jace?” Gretchen asks me while coming up beside me.

I move over to the couch that sits next to the door and flop down before I say, “I cannot figure out where she went? I now understand why she did it, but I have to find her before Jeremy gets her. You spent years looking for her, is there a place where she would go or a place that her parents had?”

Gretchen thinks for a minute when I see a flash of something in her eyes before she says, “I remember when I would receive updates when she was little; her parents built a beach house in South Alabama. I think it was in…Yellow Beach no, Red Beach wait no, Orange Beach. I’m pretty sure it is still there, and I think it was put in Danni’s mother maiden name since she wasn't from the area and people didn't know her family.”

I hop up and rush to my computer. I look up Orange Beach, Alabama and sure enough that is a real place. I hack into the city’s housing records, looking at Gretchen I ask, “What is Danni’s mother maiden name?”

“It’s Sommers; June Sommers.” Gretchen says as she looks at the computer screen.  

I quickly type it in and there is a house in her name on 131 Sunset Drive in Orange Beach, Alabama. With seeing that I get a good feeling that Danni is there, if not I know sooner or later she will be. I jump up and kiss Gretchen on the cheek before rushing out the door.

Running downstairs I run into the living room where Alexis, Erik, and Uncle Joe are sitting. I see that they are shock to see me since I locked myself in my office since Danni left.

“I might have found a location where Danni is.” I tell them.

Jumping up Erik says, “Good, I got a call before and Jeremy and his guys were last seen leaving Tennessee and heading to Alabama.”

As soon as he says that I know that Jeremy is heading to where Danni is and I quickly grab my phone and tell Anderson who works at the airport to get my plane ready. Luckily there is an air strip in the city next to where Danni is hiding.

“Erik, I want you to get ten of our best fighters and tell them to go to the airport with every weapon they have; Danni may be in Orange Beach, Alabama. I don’t know for sure if he knows she is there, but I don’t want to risk it. Uncle Joe I want you to be in charge and watch over the pack while I am gone. Alexis did not give me that look, because you are not coming and your kids need you.” I bark out as I leave to gather everything I need.

I walk pass Gretchen when she grasps my arm and tells me, “I have some Elemental friends, if you want we can come in case you need back up.”

“Yeah that will be good, tell them to head there, but keep a low profile. If Jeremy is there he may hurt Danni. Thank you Gretchen.” I reply to her. 

With that I make my way to my room and pack a bag. Before I leave I clutch the moonstone in my hand and leave so I can be reunited with my mate.