Chapter Fourteen

This chapter contains some more mature scenes that's not suited for younger readers. 

Chapter Fourteen

                Danni’s POV

After a fun afternoon by the pool and learning more from grandma, I offer to make dinner. I decided to make a traditional southern meal: fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, green beans, cornbread, and apple pie with ice-cream on top for dessert. Down south everything is fried. From chicken and fish to Oreos and Snickers; also anything you’re not sure about, just fry it and it will probably be good.  

The twins were extremely excited; because they have never had homemade fried chicken and trust me it is thousand times better than fast food. As I heat the oil, I'm teaching Alexis the basics of chicken frying 101 and Grandma offers to make the pie. This kitchen is freaking awesome since it is huge and there is a double oven, a six burner cook top, and ample counter space.

Once all the chicken is fried, I lay them out on paper towels to soak up the extra oil. Turning my attention to the mash potatoes, I begin to cut up the potatoes while Alexis works on the green beans. Grandma takes out the pie and I swear it smells like heaven as it makes my mouth water. Shaking my head, I mash the potatoes and add cream and some spices before I put them on the side. When everything was done we put the dishes on the table.

Alexis turns towards Kent and says, “Honey go tell your father and Uncle Jace that dinner is ready.”

Nodding his head he runs to the hallway and yells, “Daddy, Uncle Jace, dinner is readyyyy!!!”

“Kent, I ask you to go tell them not yell through the house; I could have done that.” Alexis hollers.

Looking confuse he replies, “But momma, we’re werewolves and we have super-duper hearing.”

Shaking her head, Alexis replies, “We may be werewolves, but we can be civil.”

Smiling at the two, I see Jace and Erik walk into the dining room. Every time I see him, my stomach does a cartwheel; sometimes I can’t believe I have him in my life.  I am truly blessed to have him.

Jace pulls me into a hug and says, “Everything looks good sweet-heart, I have never truly had a southern meal.”

“Well babe, get ready to eat, because your mind will be blown.” I answer as we all take our sits.

Shaking his head Jace takes his seat at the head of the table and we all dig in. Everyone loves the chicken which makes me feel good. It was one of the things my mom taught me to cook when she was alive and man could she cook. With that memory I can feel my heart drop a little and I can feel Jace’s hand on my knee. Looking at him, I can see him worry veiling his face, but I smile to let him know I am ok.

They say that time heals all wounds, but it really doesn’t. All you do is cope with the pain and learn how to live with it; each day gets better a little, but you still hurt on the inside. Laughter brings me out of my thoughts, Grandma is serving the apple pie and the twins are swinging ice-scream at one another. Erik barks at them to stop, but you can see the humor in his eyes as he is hiding it. Smiling at the scene before me, I feel my heart swell back up. My parents may be gone, but I have new loved ones that I shouldn’t take for granted.

As we finish, I get up to start cleaning up, but Jace hops up and says, “Don’t you dare pick up a dirty dish. Since you ladies cooked everything, the men will clean up. So go in the living and relax.”