Chapter Two | The Ministry of Magic, June 1998

Chapter Two

The Ministry of Magic, June 1998

            The London underground was crowded with Muggles, unsuspecting of Andrew and the importance of the upcoming days events. No one knew that he would change into his robes in the telephone booth or how he was supposed to meet with the Minister as soon as he arrived. Only Andrew knew that he was nervous.

Well, Amara knew – so did Sonia. The women in his life always knew. Hazel used to know, and as the train swayed Andrew closed his eyes and thought of what his mother would have said.

You are twice as smart as any of those other young men, and being homeschooled means nothing – unless you want it to. If you choose to have it mean something, wear that fact with pride.’ Then she would laugh at him, probably ruffle his hair, though she had trouble reaching the top of his head.

Oh Mamma,’ he thought ‘There is so much you never taught us.

When he reached the phone booth, Andrew had the sudden urge to vomit right there in the street – he wasn’t usually one to be nauseous, either. He had ridden this same booth down the night Sirius had died, the night Sonia spiralled down into that depression that lasted too long.

Taking a deep breath, he dialled the number and stated his name and business. As the booth travelled down, he closed his eyes once more and thought of the dinner Amara had promised would be waiting when he got home, how in a few months Sonia would have her baby and how that weekend he would take Teddy for the day. All would be well.

As the doors slid open, Andrew came face to face with Arthur Weasley – looking considerably flustered.

“Ah, Andrew! You look very professional – not that you don’t always – I mean, well – Kingsley – I mean Minister Shacklebolt – sent me down –”

“Everything alright Mr. Weasley?”

Arthur went red and took off the spectacles he had taken to wearing. “For goodness sake Andrew, it’s Arthur even here. No, no nothing really. It’s just a hectic day here at the office!” he smiled tensely and led Andrew into the grand cavernous room.

“I know you’ll do well here Andrew,” he said as they neared the Ministers office. “Especially under Phoebus, he’s a good man, talented wizard. His wife makes a very nice cobbler, too.”

Andrew nodded along as Arthur babbled, but really all he could think of was how much he wanted to be sitting on Hester House’s roof at midnight, watching the stars. The ministry was so cold, and though the bustle was fun and it was nice to get out, somehow Andrew couldn’t picture himself living there.

“Here we are,” Arthur said, and a secretary opened the door for them.

“Andrew Bowen, sir.” She said “May I bring them in?”

“Please Marian,” Kingsley Shacklebolt stood up behind his desk, and they were ushered in to shake his hand.