Chapter Fifty-Seven | Montrose Scotland, February 2021

^^isn't Ella cute??^^

Chapter Fifty-Seven

Montrose Scotland, February 2021

The world had been dipped in grey. Ella Bowen had loved Montrose and it's charms, but had only ever seen it with Jonathan. Now, she felt empty and alone.

It was a lazy Sunday, and the wind was at her back as she walked through the town. Her hair was in two tight braids and a flannel scarf was wrapped tightly around her neck; Ella was hiding from the world.

Ducking into a bookshop that she frequented, Ella headed to the back, barely looking at the other people there. Plopping herself in an overstuffed chair, she pulled a copy of Pride and Prejudice off the shelves and lost herself in it.

At the front of the shop the cashier searched his brain for a reason to go to the back. Not that he really needed one; no one was going to question him. Grabbing a notepad for armour, he inched to the back, glancing at one of several chairs. Curled in one was the girl - well, woman really - that he saw frequently. She always paid in cash, never said her name. He doubted she ever even took his existence in.

But he thought she was wonderful.

It was either a classic or a historic romance, sometimes a Quidditch manual. If he had any sense he would look her up somewhere. She was a witch obviously - she could see the hidden nook with school and magic books.

When Ella was pleased with her choice, she gathered her things and went to the till. "How much?" she asked, rifling through her purse.

"5 pound, but um, but - you've already got a copy of this." The voice was nervous.

Looking up, Ella regarded the man in front of her. He appeared a little older than herself, with a mop of chocolate hair and glasses with lenses so thick his eyes looked huge. "I know." She put down the money. "I like the inscription inside."

He flipped open the cover, smiling to himself as he ran his fingers over the words. "Me too, that's why I picked it up, and then shoved it to the back of the shelf. If no one bought it I was going to keep it for myself."

"Oh, sorry." Ella read the words - you are my Elizabeth, yours Mr. Darcy - and felt a tug at her heart. "You like Jane Austen?"

"Of course." He bagged the book and handed over her change. "She's insightful."

Ella then remembered what he had said before. "Wait, how do you know I already have a copy?"

"I sold you one a few months ago." His alabaster cheeks reddened. "I have a good memory."

"So do I," said Ella, suspicious. "Why don't I remember you?"

He shrugged under the large, lumpy knitted sweater. "I'm good at blending into the background."

Ella liked this blind, lumpy-sweater-wearing guy. "What's your name?"

"Forrest." He gulped noisily.

"I'm Ella." She grinned at him, trying to look friendly. "How long have you lived in Montrose?"

"A few years, since I graduated. And you? I feel as if I'd have seen you around. Montrose isn't too big."

"I moved in July." Ella leaned on the counter. "For work."

Forrest wasn't very good at this talking thing. "Have you met many people?"

She considered his question. "Actually, no. Just my team mates."

Ah, a Quidditch player thought Forrest. "Uh, well - I'll be your friend."

Beaming, Ella felt warmth trickle through her. "Would you really, Forrest?"

"Sure." He swallowed nervously. "Ella." Her name felt right on his tongue. A springy, light name for a springy, light person. "I break for lunch in ten, would you - um - join me?"

The world suddenly seemed a little less grey to Ella. "I'd love to."

A/N: Aww, Forrest. I've had Forrest in my backpocket for a while. So happy I've pulled him out for you all to meet now, he's a blind, woolly sweetie.

Question: Ella seems pretty okay after her abortion, and has now made a friend! Thoughts on Forrest and her progression?

I know, a tad of a filler. I'm just trying to give you all as much content before the book (and series oh my) is over...

Rose