Chapter Sixty-Five | Montrose Scotland, January 2021

Chapter Sixty-Five

Montrose Scotland, January 2021

          The quiet of Ella's flat weighed on her, grey light filtering through the snowy curtains she had hung so proudly. Curled up on her white couch, feet tucked under her, she waited.

Earlier than expected, a knock sounded at the door. Moving carefully, as if the air itself was fragile, she moved to open it.

"Ella." His voice was so achingly familiar. "Please, I just want to talk."

"Jonathan, I – this isn't really a good time." Her voice came out small, eyes to the floor.

"I'm sorry about before, I was scared." He paused, kind eyes looking her over. She looked exhausted. "Are you scared?"

"Of course." She said bitterly. "You just shut down on me, let me leave."

Still standing just outside the flat, Jonathan pleaded with her. "I don't want to be that guy. I want to be there for you, support you. Anyway I can."

"Then you can go, because there's nothing to worry about."

"What – what do you mean?"

Ella hesitated only slightly. "I'm getting abortion." She glanced at the clock on the wall. "In two hours."

"Oh." Jonathan looked as if he'd just been hit over the head. "Do you – I don't know – need anything?"

"My aunt will be here soon, she's taking me."

"Not your Mum?"

"No." Ella shook her head. "She...no."

"Have you told her?"

Ella's stomach cramped guiltily. "Listen John, I don't really have time to chat."

He looked wounded by her words. "Could I come over later, or – to the clinic?"

"You'd come to the clinic?" asked Ella, shocked. She had meant to say something hurtful or sarcastic, but she was just so surprised.

"This is my mistake, too. There's no reason you should be alone, not after I was such an dick." He grabbed her hand. "I'll be there, and pay half the cost."

Ella was so grateful she began to cry, and Jonathan wrapped her in his arms. He was warm and comforting and safe; for the first time since finding out, Ella felt okay. When Sonia arrived an hour later she found the two on the couch, holding hands rather platonically.

Sonia got Ella's coat from the hook, looking her niece over. She looked waxy with exhaustion. "You ready?"

Glancing at Jonathan, Ella nodded. "I'm ready."

Jonathan held her hand as they got into Sonia's rental car, then for the whole drive and into the clinic. The space was clean and sparse, practically empty besides the receptionist. "Ella Bowen?" she asked cheerily. "You're our last patient today, you won't have to wait long."

They sat on cold metal chairs as Ella filled out her paperwork, Sonia keeping one hand on her arm. Jonathan looked as if her were grieving. Before they all knew it, Ella's name was being called.

"You'll be fine." Sonia said quietly, kissing her forehead. "We'll be right here when you're done."

Nodding, she stood up and took a deep breath.

"Hey," Jonathan stood with her, squeezing her hand. "I'm proud of you."

Ella blinked tears away. "You're okay with this?"