Chapter 57.

Yusuf’s POV

It was after Safia fell asleep that night that I stayed awake and let myself really think about the twins. They would be born around the time I finished my training. But then it would take me time to join a plumbing agency and settle with a solid job that paid well. Then I’d have to save up for the future so I could buy a house. All of that while supporting my wife and two children.

It wasn’t only the finance that worried me. I wondered how Safia would take care of both the babies on her own. If there wasn’t a problem between Safia and my mum, Safia would have a lot of help. I could have moved back and it would have been easier for Safia to take care of them. I wanted to do as much as I could but I’d be at work all day. But I believed Safia would be fine. How difficult could raising children really be?

I know Safia’s family would be willing to help. They were all too nice. Whenever Safia mentioned her family could help, it made me drown in guilt. I married Safia with the intention of taking good care of her and making sure she had no worries. Instead, here I was, causing nearly all of her worries.

I really had to stop feeling sorry for myself. As I usually did in these situations, I sat up from on my bed and raised my hands to make a supplication, asking Allah to make things easy. I asked Allah to help me financially and help me be the best husband I could be right now. I also prayed that my children were born healthy and that I could be a good father to them. I prayed I could give them a good upbringing and that they grow up not feeling deprived of anything.

I lay down again and turned back to Safia who was fast asleep. I put my hand over hers, feeling grateful for her existence. She slid her hand away from mine before she hugged my whole arm as if she was a child holding her teddy. If only she knew how much strength she gave me. I could never be able to explain it to her in words. Somewhere in the midst of these thoughts I fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning and went to work as usual. I was going to meet Javed again too. I was still frustrated at his behaviour from when he found out about the Safia’s pregnancy. He didn’t know about the twins yet, no one did. Safia and I both wanted to tell our families in person. Safia and I agreed that we would visit our families in the evening to tell them. I wasn’t going to accompany Safia and it upset me a little. I wanted to be there when she told her parents and the others. I wanted to see their reaction as much as I wanted to see my family’s reaction. Unlike my parents, Safia’s didn’t disappoint. They were a lot more supportive.

Javed told me he would pick me up from work in his car. He was late but he came to my workplace, as promised.

“Asalamu’alaykum,” I said getting in.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam,” He mumbled, turning the engine on. There was an awkward silence. I thought we were getting over this awkward phase. I guess I was wrong.

“What’s up with all this?” I asked.

“What?”

“Picking me up in your car. I could have taken the train.”

“I needed to talk to you.” I could never get used to that phrase coming out of his mouth. I waited for him to continue. “I wanted to apologise for what I said to you that day. I know, it was two months ago and my apology’s really late but I’ve been feeling a bit bad. You’ve also been sulking around me.”

“I have not been sulking!”

“The point is, I’m sorry. I was just joking. I forgot what a girl you are.”

“Great apology,” I said sarcastically.

“Thank you. I thought so too.” He struck up another conversation and soon, I found that I had forgiven him. It was going to take time for him to change completely.