Chapter 64.

Yusuf’s POV

“And I’m sorry for being so inconsiderate. I realize now I was blinded by frustration and ill feelings that I couldn’t see how difficult I was making life for you. I’m sorry for being selfish.” Maryam finished her speech, her gaze fixed on the ground in shame.

“It’s fine, Maryam. I’m glad you understand though. But we’ve got to admit, we had some fun together.” Safia attempted to console a guilt ridden Maryam.

“I still can’t believe mum didn’t even come for me in the end.” Maryam said, crossing her arms. I could see she felt wounded.

“Go easy on her Maryam. You can’t change her but you can change yourself. When you go home, show her that you’re not bothered by her actions.”

“Yeah, I agree.” I added on to Safia’s statement. “Don’t let her get to you. It will only make you unhappy.”

“Is there any way of making her unhappy too?” Maryam asked.

“Maryam!” Maryam flinched at my stern tone. “Have you not been listening to anything I’ve been saying to you? She is your mother! No matter what she’s like, you have to respect her! I don’t won’t to hear a single bad word about her again, you hear me?” Maryam nodded. “Good. By the way, Javed’s on his way to collect you now.”

I was disappointed in Maryam. I always thought she was mature above her age but she’d proven me wrong. Or maybe she had changed in my absence. But I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know how to be there for her while taking care of my wife and my soon to come children.

When I opened the door to let Javed in, he patted my back and walked over to Maryam. He put her in a friendly head lock.

“Dude, the house has been so empty without you.” He said, ruffling her hair. Safia was in shock. She had never seen this side of Javed. Well, this side of him only came out recently.

“Like you’re ever even home.” Maryam struggled and tried to push Javed away.

“Get your stuff and let’s go. This place makes me feel claustrophobic.” Maryam obliged to Javed’s demand. Javed was still in the process of changing. That’s what I hoped anyway, that it was a long slow journey to becoming a better man. Safia looked slightly offended by his remark. Her eyes connected with mine and she understood that I wanted her to not be affected by what he said. She shrugged it off. We could actually communicate with our eyes now.

Soon Maryam left and the house became very quiet.

“I’m missing her now,” Safia said.

“Hmm. At least I’ll be able to sleep in my own bed.”

“Oh yes! Ooh I can’t wait! Let’s sleep early. I haven’t cuddled you at night in too long.”

“Oh dear, don’t squish me. I think I’ve gotten quite used to the sofa though. I’ll stay here tonight.” I lay my head down on the armrest.

“No you will not!” She said trying to pull me off the sofa.

“I’ve still got to pray Isha.” I reminded her.

“When is Isha?”

“In half an hour.”

“Remind me 10 minutes before we leave. I would do wudhu now but I keep on needing to pee.”

“Did I really have to know that?” I asked

“Yes. It’s because of the babies.”

“Please, I beg of you, don’t give me another lecture on pregnancy. I’m never going to get pregnant so I don’t want to know.”