Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Song Choice: Bright by Elizabeth Grace

My eyes flutter open and I'm blinded by white lights. My body feels heavy but at the same time, I feel light. Like I'm weightless. I can hear a steady beeping sound behind me and the smell of cleaning products were so strong that it burned to breathe. My eyes came into focus soon and I saw my mother hovering over me.

"Oh my god! My baby's awake. Nurse? Nurse!" She yelled before turning her attention back to me.

She cooed over me, whispering that things would get better.

I grimaced. No they won't.

"Macy, your awake?" Shane came to the right side of my bed and squeezed my hand.

I nodded slightly before wincing at the tenderness at the back of my head. Cole was also in the room but he didn't speak to me. His eyes were full of tears as we locked gazes. Feeling awkward, I looked away.

"W-where am I?"

At that moment, a doctor walked in.

"Hello Macy,how are you feeling?"

I stared at Shane and he just nodded, telling me to answer.

"G-good?"

"Okay." he marked something on his chart. "There's some good news and bad news. Which would you like to hear?"

"Bad." I whispered.

"Well, from our recent tests, we've come to the conclusion that your malnourished and your friend over there," he pointed at Cole, "had told me you've been starving yourself."

He waited for me to agree or deny the statement but I did neither, I only watched.

"Your going to have to go to recover as soon as your released from the hospital because you've been classified as Anorexic. The clinic we're sending you to is for a whole year so you'd have to go to school online,"

"Good news?" Cole asked, finally speaking.

My eyes snapped to him and stayed there.

"The good news is that we caught this just in time. Usually we don't get the feeding tube in them until its too late."

Feeding tube? So that's what's sticking out of my stomach.

"So are you willing to go to recovery? "

I bit my lip slightly as I looked from my mother's worried face to the sad expressions of Cole and Shane.

Ana suddenly appeared at the bottom of the bed with a scowl gracing her angelic features. "You're going to ruin all my hard work!"

Her hard work? She wasn't the one throwing up nearly every single days or the one not eating at all just to stay thin and keep the numbers down so where does she come off saying its her work?

In that moment I had a revelation. Suddenly, I felt like I didn't need her. I realized that I didn't have to starve to be beautiful, to be like her because she was ugly. Sure, maybe her outside was the epitome of perfect but her inside was rotted and moldy.

Macy didn't want to be like her at all.

I glared at Ana as I spoke. "Yes, I do need recovery. But I'm not doing it for you," I turned to Cole," Or you" she glances at her mother.

"I'm doing this for me."

"You'll be fat! Your fat already! I can't believe your doing this to me. And I thought we were friends." Ana screeched before storming out of the hospital room.

I watched as Ana left.

"We were never truly friends. You only wanted me dead." I whispered.