Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I stumbled into the art room and almost fell if Cole didn't catch me.

"Are you sure your okay?" Cole asked as he held me steady.

"Y-yeah. My legs are just asleep." I lied easily.

He opened his mouth to say something but the bell rang, signaling that class was started. That and Mrs. Evans began to talk immediately after.

"Okay class, today were working on our portraits of things we want. Take out your easels and begin." Mrs. Evans said before taking her seat.

I went to the supply cabinet and grabbed my paints and brushes before going back to my station. I mixed up the perfect shade of paint to make the legs looked tanned. I started with the first leg and then the other. Standing back, I admired my work. It still wasn't done but it looked better than it had before. I moved to a different angle and stared at it, squinting.

Did one leg look fatter than the other?

"Stop moving!" Cole groaned as he set his paint brush down.

"Huh? Why?" I asked and walked back to my station.

"You've been doing that for almost 30 minutes." he pointed out.

"I have?"

How did the time go by so fast?

"Yeah, you have now go back and paint." he said as he picked up his own brush and began working.

"Whatever." I muttered and went back to my painting.

I took a small amount of black and white and mixed them together so I could add a shadow behind them. As I did, I noticed Cole glancing at me every now and then. I blushed furiously and ducked my head.

Why was he staring at me? Was something on my face? Was my hair messed up?

I stared at Cole, waiting for him to look back at me so I can catch him in the act. After a few moments, he did look up and froze when he saw me staring at him. My heart started pounding in my chest as I forgot everything I was going to say. It felt like an eternity passed as we stared at eachother, not moving an inch. A loud blaring sound caused us to jump and it broke the spell.

"Fire drill!" Mrs. Evans yelled over the noise. "Leave your things where they are and head to the front door."

Everyone shuffled out the door at an agonizingly slow pace. If there really was a fire, we'd all die. We all made it out safely and were directed to stand under the trees. I sat on the root of the tree as teachers scrambled to count their students and report that they either had them all or some were missing. I closed my eyes and let the wind blow my hair around.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself."

I didn't even open my eyes because I already knew it was Cole. Who else would be speaking to me in such a kind voice.

"Mm." I hummed my response.

I felt movement on the right side of me and opened my eyes slightly to see Cole lying next to me.

"What are you doing?" I opened my eyes all the way.

"Lying down next to my bestest friend ever."

"I thought that would be Liz and her possy." I shot at him.

"Ooh, jealous much." he teased, turning to face me.

"N-no." I stuttered as I realized that our faces were only inches apart.

"Who would've know you were the jealous type. I never had you pegged as that." He continued to tease, eyes light with mischief.

I stayed as still as I could.