Finding Happiness - Part 6

'Ge wala na sila.' She said while crying. Did the world just stop? Fred is gone. My best friend is gone. Paano nangyari yun?

'Ge....' All i can do is hug her. 'We can get through this babe. We can.' And i hug her tighter.

We did the burial just for a night since Sarah and I decided not to prolong the agony. There's a lot of people. Parang di ko kayang pakinggan kung ano ang nagawa ni Fred o ni Kath sa mga ito. Sakin pa lang at kay Sarah ay sobra sobra na.

A lawyer came to me at the night of the burial. I have no idea was that about but it seems very important. And I was surprised na kasama si Sarah sa mini conference na ito.

'Good evening, Mr. Anderson and Ms. Geronimo. I'm Atty. Gomez, Mr. and Mrs. Payawan's lawyer. I'm sorry for your loss.'

'I appreciate it, Atty.' Tumingin ako kay Sarah na mugto ang mata. 

Hindi ko kayang makita sya ng ganto. So I reach for her hand and squeeze it. She looks at me and showed a half smile. I didn't let it go.

'Tungkol po ba saan ito?' Sarah asked. 

'Di na ko paligoy ligoy pa. As you all know that the child's custody in case na may mangyaring masama sa mga magulang nito will be at the parents' closest family.' He explains.

Parang kinakabahan ako bigla.

'As for Fred naman, the closest will be her lola since his parents were already dead. Nag-iisang anak. But the grand mother is already in the hospital care. So that's make it none to Fred's part.' He explains. Yes, he do have a lola. Pero dinadalaw nya na lang sa hospital. Fred didn't have a chance to meet his dad's side of the family dahil anak sya ng pangalawang asawa.

'As for Mrs. Payawan,' He continued while he scans on his papers. 'She grew up on an orphanage. And Mrs. Payawan decided not to track the family, so in these case they signed an agreement na kung may mangyaring masama sa kanila, Baby Cobbe will be together in your care.' And he stopped and closed the folder.

'ANO PO ULIT?' I asked. Honestly, medyo narinig yung last part.

'Baby Cobbe will be in you care. You and Sarah.' 

WHAT??

'Wait, they pick us together?!' Halata ring nagulat si Sarah. And lean on Atty. Gomez closer.

Atty. Gomez nodded. 'And this house as well will be in your name together.'

Silence.

'I need a moment.' We said in chorus and leave the table.

Damn you Fred! Hindi ko alam kung gaano kalaki ang tiwala mo sakin para gawin mo sakin to! You know my stand on these things tapos bigla mo kong bibigyan ng anak! Damn! And with Sarah! What's with you two! Damn!

I decided to go outside dahil alam ko kailangan ko ng fresh air, kahit konting hangin lang okay na. Walking back and forth. 

Talagang kahit wala ka na bro, ayaw mo pa rin akong mag-isa. Look at these house bro. You built it. You worked for it. I can't just take it away from you.

I sighed. This is way too fast for me to absorb. But I decided to go in.

'Sorry, Atty. Medyo nakakagulat kasi.' I explained while reaching for the chair. And then Sarah sat as well. Nakasimangot.

'Uminom lang ng tubig.' She explained. And she seems uneasy as well.

'Hindi ko naman kayo minamadali, while you're thinking about this matter, we could put Baby Cobbe in a care since wala pa rin naman yung release ng custody nyo.'

'In a care? Meaning sa ampunan?' Sarah asked. And she seems don't like the idea of that.

'Yes.' 

'For example I took Cobbe in. Pwede ba yun? Or..' I looked at Sarah. Ms. Sungit is back with one eyebrow raised. 'For example lang naman.' 

'It should be together. There's a catch here. If the agency doesn't seem to think that you two are capable of taking care of Cobbe, they will put Cobbe in a home and you two can't do anything about that kahit may custody kayo ng bata.' This makes me dizzy. What's going on with the world. 'If ayaw nyo mangyari yun, I suggest to think about these thoroughly. You can stay at these house, and talk like adults.'

Sarah looked at me. She seems lost as well. Those eyes. Kahit mugto, I can look at them forever. And then she looked at her hands. 

'I know these is too much to take in.' No more formality in his voice. 'But if your friends think you can do it, you can do it.'

'Thank you Atty. Yes. Gerald and I will think about this through.' She smiles. 'Diba? For Cobbe.' And then she looked at me with that smile.

Who could say no?

'Yes. We will. For Cobbe.' I answered while looking at her.

Thank you Bro and Kath.

++++++++++++++++++++

@arianeffinbass on twitter!

Actually this was inspired by "Life as we know it. " (favorite movie ko kase yun. ahihihi.)

Pero start ng next chapter,  the touch of GEGE and SASA na! at nagexplain ako talaga. hahaha!

Thank you po sa mga comments and votes at sumusubaybay! Lalo akong ginanahan. Hehe! Thank you!