Finding Happiness - Part 5

As we celebrate Cobbe's 1st birthday, the four of us were talking before dumating ang mga guests.

'Before the party starts and we all get busy, I'd like to thank these 2 people who help us made it. Thank you guys. We love you!' Sabi ni Fred na pinipilit huwag umiyak.

'Ano ko ba bro. Nakakain ka lang ng bagong imbentong calamansi cake ni Sarah ganyan ka na.' I teased.

'Walang kinalaman yung cake ko dyan ah. I love you too. Both of you.' She said using her soothing voice.

'Group hug!' Sigaw ni Kath.

And we hugged. Im lucky I have these people in my life. Including her. Ngayon ko lang narealize na hug ko sya, samantalahin ko na nga.

'Oy Gerald. Hindi na ko makahinga. Nang-aasar ka na naman.' She said. Ms. Sungit is back.

'Ayan may mga bisita na.' Kath interrupted me dahil siguro napansin nya medyo matagal na kong nakatitig kay Sarah.

The party went smoothly. Too many children. Ang gulo. So I decided to help in the kitchen and taste the cupcake as well.

I got there and saw her preparing the cake for the blowing the candle part. I stopped at the door to look at her. Bakit nga ba ayaw ko syang ligawan? Bakit nga ba hindi ko sya inaya makipag-date?

'Don't dare.'

Kath interrupted my thoughts. Nakaharang pala ko sa pinto. She also stood there and look at her from afar.

'She was hurt once. Hurt as in organ-crushing feeling ha. She was devastated. The guy ran away with her friend. Maski ako, i dont know how to comfort her at that time. But she was strong.' I listen closely. 'He was her first love. But then again, its her first heartbreak. 7 years have passed pero feeling ko fresh pa sa kanya. Maybe yun yung reason bat sya asar sayo. Playboy ka daw kasi.'

Well. I admit. But..

But what?

'Halika na nga tulungan mo ko sa cake.'

And I followed her as I'm thinking.. kaya pala parang galit na galit sya sakin. Mga babae talaga, nasaktan lang ng isa.. tingin na sa lahat, manloloko rin.

After a few weeks after Cobbe's party, i've been busy with basketball since the conference started. On my way home, I received a call from Sarah.

Ring. ring. Ring.

Sarah Calling...

Bakit kaya napatawag to si sungit. I pulled out my car so I can answer her call.

'Hello? Anong nangyari?!'

Kath and Fred were involved in a car accident. I felt numb after hearing it from Sarah. She was crying.

'Gerald, pumunta ka na dito sa ospital. I need you.' She said she needs me? What happen back there?

Halos paliparin ko na yung kotse para makarating agad sa ospital. I saw her standing at the door of the ER talking to the doctor. Habang palapit ako nakikita ko sya na parang babagsak na. Before it does, I caught her in my arm. And the doctor left.

I hugged her so she can feel that she's not alone and everything will be alright.

'What happened?' I whispered. I tried to hide the panic para hindi na madagdagan yung nararamdaman nya.

Before she could answer, a police officer came and told us about the accident.

'Family po ba kayo?' He asked.

'We are the only family they have. Ano pong nangyari?' Sarah who still crying faced the officer. 'May lasing po kasing driver. Sumalpok po yung kotse ng mag-asawa sa pader.'

'Are they ok? Is Cobbe ok?' I asked.

I noticed the sadness at the officer's face.

'Hindi po nila kasama yung anak nila sa sasakyan. Nasa bahay po kasama yung babysitter.' He explains.

'How bout Fred and Kath? Stable na ba sila? Anong kalagayan nila?' He didnt answer if okay sila. Kailangan ko pa bang ulitin?

I felt Sarah's left hand on my cheeks. I looked at her and saw the sadness and tears about to fall..

'Ge, wala na sila.'

++++++++++++++++++++++

@arianeffinbass on twitter!

How about Baby Cobbe? Paano maapektuhan ang buhay ni Sarah at Gerald sa pangyayaring ito?