Chap13-It's not what it looks like

As I was stuck under Luke I didn’t even have the option of covering myself up, but I was grateful to have him as a shield. I looked up to see Luke still looking into my eyes.

“Your Aunt and Uncle just busted through the door.” I told him. “Please don’t move. I don’t want them to see me half naked.” I whispered to Luke. I watched blush spread across Luke’s face quickly.

“What’s going on in here!? You think we invite you to our home in America to have sex with the first thing you meet!” Hollered his Aunt.

“Aunt Beatrice can we please have this conversation in the kitchen once we are both dressed?” Luke asked not moving from his spot straddling me, but simply twisting his head to look at his family.

“What you’re ashamed to be half naked now that it’s us?” She asked before her husband butted in. “Let’s let them get dressed so he can explain his actions.” He took his wife’s hand and dragged her to the kitchen. We could hear her still fusing about it as we got dressed. Luke grabbed fresh jeans and a tee shirt. It took us a minute to find my dress since we had simply thrown it. I put it on and tried to straighten out any wrinkles that were in it. Luke grabbed my hand as we headed to the kitchen. I’m not sure if it was to comfort me or him, but I didn’t object.

I was nervous about what the old lady would say. I bet she’d forbid him from seeing me and ruin both of our summers. Luke looked just as worried as his hands raked through his hair.

“Why couldn’t you have found a nice white girl who’d keep her legs closed long enough for you to get to know her?” I dropped my hand as I anticipated how this would go. She would keep saying stuff about my race; Luke won’t understand and will be at a loss of words. I would have to defend myself as I always did then leave.

“The nice white girl you want me to be with wouldn’t make my heart beat the way Stephanie makes it beat. She wouldn’t take my breath away and I wouldn’t enjoy her company. I don’t understand why race is a big thing here in America, but you’re from England and maybe it’s time you start visiting us since you forgot how to respectfully treat your fellow citizen. It’s unacceptable for you to degrade her race when you don’t understand anything and even if you were America, it’d still be wrong.” Luke grabbed my hand and began pulling us toward the door.

“Ugh, you know what!? I don’t know what to do with you kids! I’m shippin’ ya’ back to England the first flight there is.” With that the Moores exited the kitchen leaving me in shock and Luke angry. I stepped back as he tore his hand from mines and begun beating kitchen appliances. He kicked the cabinets and smashed his hands down on the counter.

 I hesitantly placed a hand on his shoulder, shocking him. When he turned to me I was surprised to see tears forming in his green eyes. My eyes began to water just from him being sad. All of a sudden the air in the Moore’s home was too thick. It was hard to catch my breath as my throat tightened up. I grabbed Luke’s hand once again and pulled us out of the house.

 “Luke don’t cry because then I’ll cry!” My voice was shaky as I tried to comfort him. “I don’t want you to see me like that,” I said rubbing his back.

In reaction to my touch, he scooped me up into a bear hug. As my body was forcefully pulled into his it sparked to life. How could he make me tingle when I was so sad?