Chap5-Meet my Crazy and Very Black BFF

That kiss left me wanting more, but totally confused about what this was going to be.

‘If he decides we should just be friends I’ll be fine with that, but we need to talk this out because I don’t want my heart to get strung along for the summer.’ I thought to myself as my phone started to ring.

I looked around for a bit and found it with my shoes and shirt. I had totally forgotten about my shirt and seeing it made me conscious of sitting so close to Luke, both of us still half naked. I pulled my shirt on as I answered my phone. “Yea?”

“Don’t sound so confused! Where are you? I’m at your house waiting for you. We are still going to the mall right? Look, I know you don’t like to shop, but girl, you need a makeover! I’m tired of seeing you in jeans and shirts. You made a bet that if the Heat won and Lebron got his first ring, I could give you a makeover! Well Miami Heat did it baby! WHOOOOOO!” I moved the phone and allowed my friend her victory cheers. Leshae was my best friend. She was a fashion kind of girl, but she liked to break the fashion rules. Sometimes her outfits were obnoxious, but about once a week she’d put something together that was original and super cute. I had found myself in a bet with her when Oklahoma City Thunders won the first game of the NBA finals. Boy was I wrong. The Heat came back and won the next and last 4 games and of course my best friend wouldn’t let me live it down.

I had planned on calling her later and telling her all about my heated kiss with Luke, but I had forgotten she’d invited herself over to my house today. I wasn’t sure if I was ready for Luke to meet Shae, as I called her.  She was closer to the typical black girl. You never said anything bad about her mother or she’d kick your ass. She always kept her weave looking tight and she got a full set manicure every two weeks. You didn’t touch her radio if you were in her car and no matter who you are she wasn’t afraid to cuss you out, well unless you were my parents or her mother. She was my fierce black girlfriend and I loved her, but I didn’t want Luke judging her or her judging him.

“I know, girl! I lost the bet so you’ll give me a makeover, but can we not do that today. I’m not home because I’m out with some new friends.” I told her as I tried to decide what to do.

‘Forget it! If I have to put up with his Aunt’s snide comments then he’d have to put up with my best friend.’

“New friends? I’m looking at your car and don’t nobody live in walking distance but some old folks. Who the hell you hanging with?! Are they imaginary because that’s the only type of friends you can meet in this old ass neighborhood?” Her questions made me laugh so it took me awhile to answer her. “They’re visiting from England. It’s Ms. Beatrice’s nieces and nephew. We are a…” She cut me off as she realized what I’d said. “Ms. Beatrice?! That’s the witch that made that comment about black people not going to college, ain’t it? Why would you get involved with her family? They probably just as fucked up as she is! You better be back here in 5 minutes or I’m calling the police!” My crazy, but concern friend would probably call the police, then confront whoever she thought had hurt me. She was bad ass like that, but this side of her scared me a little.

“You’ll see why in a few! Bye.” I hung up the phone and puffed out a little air I was holding in. “Whew, ok guys if you want to meet my crazy, very black best friend, come with me,” I looked at Luke and said as I stand up. He surprised me by quickly packing everything we’d brought, throwing on his shirt, and grabbing his shoes.