Chapter 4: The Sorting

We were waiting in the front of the school and my grandma came out in long green robes and started talking to us. "Hello, my name is Professor Mcgonagall. In a few minutes all of you will go in the Great Hall to be sorted. I will go in there and come back out when they're ready. Try to clean yourselves up." And with that she left. I looked around and saw people cleaning themselves up. I saw Harry trying to get his hair to lay down flat and was failing at it so I walked over there and helped him. I licked my hand (I know it sounds nasty but it works) and smoothed it over his hair.

"How'd you do that?" I just smirked and walked away. Grandma came out and led us into the Great Hall. The hat sang its song and then the sorting began.

Grandma called out a few names and then "Hermione Granger." Hermione walked up and sat on the stool and Grandma placed the hat on her head. It immediately shouted "GRYFFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table burst into applause. She called a few more names and then "Draco Malfoy." Draco walked up with a smirk. Before the hat even touched his head, it shouted "SLYTHERIN!" The Slytherin table burst into cheers. I was next. When my name was called whispers broke out. "Ah, young Xena, Martha's daughter. Your mother was a brilliant Gryffindor as was your grandmother. Your grandmother is now the head of the house." It then shouted "GRYFFINDOR!" Grandma smiled and the Gryfflindor table erupted into cheers. A few more names were called and then "Harry Potter." Whispers broke out again, every house wanted the famous boy who lived in their house. The hat took a while before it shouted "GRYFFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table burst into applause. A few more names were called and finally the last person was Ron. "Ronald Weasley." The hat immediately shouted GRYYFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table again burst into cheers. Dumbledore got up and made his speech and then the food appeared. Ron immediately piled food onto his plate and dug in. When we got done eating, I headed upstairs to my dorm. I grabbed my clothes and got in the shower. I washed and conditioned my hair, then washed my body, then got out and dried off and got dressed in my pajamas. I then brushed my teeth and brushed my hair and put it in a side ponytail. I then headed down to the common room and sat with Harry, Ron and Hermione. We sat and talked about different things, like our families and our reactions when we got our letters. When I told them that Professor Mcgonagall was my grandmother, the reaction was priceless. I was starting to get sleepy so I told the gang "I'm going to go see my grandma. I walked to her office and when she opened the door, she looked shocked. "Xena, what are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to talk. Can you tell me about my mom? And did she have siblings?"

"Your mother was an amazing, beautiful woman. She was smart and brave. You're a lot like her. She did have a twin sister, a squib, her father did not want her when she didn't show any magical qualities and threatened to kill her if I didn't give her up for adoption, so I did. It was the hardest decision of my life. When I saw Hermione, I saw the little girl I gave up for adoption years ago. When you go back to your dorm, ask Hermione who her mom is."

"Okay good night Grandma" I said then gave her a hug. I walked back to the common room. I saw that Hermione and the boys had already gone to bed. I climbed the stairs to our dorm. "Hey Mione, you awake?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"I have a question."

"Shoot."

"What's your mom's name?"

"Monica, why?"

"Oh, no reason, just wondering. Good night Mione."

"Good night Xena." And with that I was out like a light.

****************************

In the morning, I got dressed and went to Grandma's office before anybody else was up. When she opened the door, she looked shocked that I was up this early. Then she asked me "Did you ask her?"

"Yes, Grandma."

"Well, what is it?"

"Monica." Grandma immediately burst into tears. "Grandma, what's wrong?"

"Ms. Granger is my granddaughter."

"WHAT?!"

"Her mom and your mom were twins, identical twins." I ran back to my dorm and found Hermione already ready and grabbed her arm and dragged her to Grandma's office. "Tell her what you just told me, please."

Grandma sighed and then said, "Xena's mom was not an only child. She had a twin, who was a squib and their father was a pureblood Slytherin who cared a great deal about blood status. When Martha's twin didn't show any magical qualities, their father said to either give her up for adoption or he would kill her, so I gave her up to a muggle family, when I saw you yesterday at the sorting, I saw the little girl that I gave up for adoption years ago. I told Xena to ask you what your mother's name is. When Xena came up here this morning and told me your mon's name was Monica I immediately knew that you were my granddaughter and that you and Xena are cousins."

"Awesome! Best friends and cousins," Hermione and I chorused.

"Hermione, ask your parents to come here next month."

"Yes ma'am, Professor."

"Oh please call me Grandma."

"Ok, Grandma. We have to get to class we'll see you later." And with that Hermione and I walked to the Great Hall for breakfast. While we were eating Grandma came in and gave out our schedules. ."