Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I called Paxton as soon as I made it to the school.

Paxton Reid was another famous friend of mine except he was in the music industry. He also happened to be one of Noland's favorite singers. Lucky for me, Paxton owed me a favor and so he came to the dance today to sing a few songs, then to hang out for the rest of the night.

"Hey, Pax, are you here yet?"

"Is it the place with a bunch of multi-colored lights and girls in tight dresses," he asked.

"Yup."

"Then, yes. I'm here. Where do you want me to meet you?"

"Umm, do you see the big signs with the arrows pointing inside," I asked, balancing my phone on my shoulder so I could grab my clutch and turn off my car.

"Uhh, yes.

"You think the paps found out I'm here," he asked, giving me a worried look.

"I guess so because there's not normally this many of them," I groaned, frustrated that they had to be here tonight.

"Come on. Lets get inside before they spot us," Paxton said, grabbing my arm to pull me through the crowded doorway.

My bodyguard, Johnny, pushed through the crowd in front of us as we followed close behind.

"There she is," I heard someone shout.

I made the mistake of turning around and saw a hoard of photographers rushing over to Paxton and I.

"Excuse me," I heard Johnny yelling as he continued to push through the crowd.

"Miss Pinnock, is it true?"

"Do you have a twin?"

"Is Callan Wesley actually your brother?"

I would have stopped right there since I was so dumbfounded, but Paxton's hold on me kept me going.

Did Mom and Dad decided to tell the press? But why wouldn't they tell me they were telling the press?

We finally made it to an empty part of the hallway and I had a moment to put myself back together.

"Johnny, can you please escort Paxton to the stage in the gym. I have to make a quick phone call and then I'll meet you guys there," I said, smiling even though Johnny was giving me a look telling me he knew otherwise.

"Sure. We'll see you back there," Paxton nodded, following Johnny towards the crowded gym where a DJ was already blasting catchy music.

I quickly dialed Mom's number and impatiently waited as the dial tone played.

"Hi sweetie. The big dance is tonight isn't it," my mom answered in a cheerful voice.

"Yes Mom, but I need to know if you told the press about...our family," I said in a panic, pacing the glossy floors of the school hallway.

"Why would I do that," she scoffed.

"Well someone did," I grumbled, rubbing my forehead.

"WHAT! I'm calling your father. Stay on the line."

I heard a click then, I was left with my own thoughts.

What was I going to do?

****

After talking to my parents for a lengthy amount of time and then enlightening Johnny on the situation, I was ready to have a panic attack. They told me to go enjoy myself and that they would take care of it, but how could they when they were hundreds or maybe even thousands of miles away.