Chapter 1

Chapter 1

For some people, turning 17 means being able to go watch R-rated without an adult, but for me, turning another year older means taking my life into my own hands and choosing a future for myself.

I sighed as I looked at the piles of clothes on my floor. I was packing to go live with my aunt for the school year and it was not easy. I didn't know I had so many clothes, but I couldn't get rid of any of them. Most I had never worn, but the others either had sentimental value or I just particularly loved the article of clothing. For example, I have this navy Burberry blazer that is way out of style, but I met Brad Pitt in it so I can't get rid of it.

I'm just going to have to leave it here. I'll be back, of course, just not for almost a year. I think one reason this move is fairly easy for me is because I don't really have any friends. I have to travel around the world so much with my parents that I was never able to form a relationship with anybody. This also means I've never had a boyfriend. I've met plenty of cute guys, believe me, but between my dad having to check on all his hotels and my mom shooting movies at different locations, I don't really have a place where I can settle down.

That's one reason why I'm excited to live with my aunt. I will get to live in one house and one place for almost one whole year! Isn't that crazy? But I am nervous to see my Aunt Caroline, or Aunt Carol. I've only met her twice and that was when I was really young so I don't really remember her. Then there is also her son, or my cousin, Callan. I don't remember him either, but we're the same age, so I hope we will get along alright.

Another reason is because this is the biggest and most independent decision I've ever made. I've never been very out spoken when it came to making choices and decisions for myself, so I've always let others choose for me. However, this birthday made me think about where my life was headed. I realized I had no idea where it was going to happen because I had no control over it.

That's why I chose to go live with my aunt against my mom's advice and my dad's hesitation. I hope being at Aunt Carol's house and away from the people that really influence my life, will help me to figure it out by myself.

My mom has always pushed me to follow in her footsteps and to become an actress, but I'm not sure that's what I want.

Sighing again, I decide I should actually start packing instead of just staring at my clothes. Considering I still have to pack up the rest of my room and I leave in 3 days, I probably should get moving. I stood up and started folding all the clothes on the floor and putting them into trunks. It's going to be easier to put everything in trunks instead of suitcases and since my family owns our own plane, o don't have to worry about weight limits.

"Rory. Are you almost done packing? I need to run a few errands before you leave and I need to run by the studio," my mom yelled down the hallway.

"Ugh," I groaned. If I said no, my mom was going to get really mad at me and would probably lock me in my room until I finished, but I couldn't let that happen because I needed to get some last minute shopping done. However, if I said yes, I would be able to get my shopping finished, but it wouldn't do any good because I wouldn't be packed.

Screw it. I'm calling Martha to pack for me.

"Yeah mom," I yelled through my half-open door. "I'm finished."

She won't bother to check because I know her, and if visiting the studio is on her mind, she won't think about anything else.

"Okay great. Make yourself presentable. You never known who might be working on a movie at the studio," she paused for a second then yelled, "we leave in 30 minutes."

30 minutes! That's not ideal, but I think I can manage.

Even though I grew up in a world of fashion, I've never been the type of girl that follows every fashion trend. Of course, I'm not going to wear last years clothes, but I'm not going to fret about my appearance twenty-four seven.