Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I was sitting in my room, packing up a few of the things I wouldn't need in the next few days, when I heard a knock on the door. Since Aunt Carol was a work and Cal was at soccer practice, it was up to me to answer the door.

"Coming," I yelled, hopping off of the floor and running over to open the door.

I swung open the door and would have fallen out of my seat had I been sitting down. Brittany Sanches was standing there, with a very nervous look on her face.

"Can I help you," I asked, leaning against the door with what was probably a confused expression plastered on my face.

"Actually, I'm here to help you," she sighed, looking at the ground.

"With what might I ask?"

She was still standing at the doorway and I didn't plan on letting her inside until I found out why she was here.

"I know who told your secret to the press."

I suppose that was reason to let her inside.

****

"Are you sure," I asked again.

"Yes Rory. For the hundredth time, I was there. I know what happened."

When I gave her a pointed look she sighed.

"Sorry. I'm not use to being so...nice? I don't know, but at least I have a bit of a moral compass, unlike him," she mumbled the last part and I knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Well thanks for telling me, but I have to go."

I stood up to go grab a pair of shoes and a jacket, but Brittany stopped me.

"You're going to go talk to him are you," she look horrified and I almost couldn't help, but laugh.

"Yes I'm going to go talk to him. He lied to me and I'm going to go find out why."

"Good luck with that," she snorted before showing herself out of the door.

I let out an aggravated sigh, and continued putting on my shoes.

Even though Brittany had admitted that she had been there when he had talked to the press, I didn't feel betrayed by her. Don't get me wrong. I was furious with her and would definitely not be best friends with her anytime soon, but she had come clean.

I grabbed my keys and dashed out of the front door. 

****

I gazed up at the house and checked the number on the mailbox one more time. Since I had only been here once, it took me a while to remember how to get back here.

I balled up my fist to knock on the door, but beaten to the punch when he opened the door.

"Rory...uhh...Hi. I would love to stay and chat, but I have to go pick up my sister," the traitor smiled at me while shutting his front door and sliding past me.

He had barely gotten a step away from me before I spoke up.

"I know it was you who told the press about Callan and me."

He froze, his back faced towards me. Slowly, he turned around and stared at me with a placid look on his face.

"I knew you'd figure it out sooner or later. I just didn't think it would be this soon. Congrats," he smiled, still standing there as if this was just a casual conversation.

"Why would you do this to us? Ashton, you're Callan's best friend and I thought for some crazy reason we were friends too," I said, staring right back into hazel eyes.