Chapter 54

“There you are; enjoy your meal.” I smiled as I received a couple ‘thanks’ and made my way back to the kitchen.

“Hey Natalie, can I talk to you?” I heard Dan ask as I passed him.

“Sure,” I nodded as I followed him to his office.

“Have a seat.” I did so tentatively as he sighed out a breath. “Natalie… when I hired you I loved your enthusiasm. But your performance hasn’t been up to standard recently.” I blinked slowly as I nodded, knowing where this was going. “I’m sorry we have to let you go.”

I sighed out a breath, “Okay. I will turn in my apron.” I stood and pulled off my apron handing it over to him.

He nodded a thanks and I left the room, walking to the break room. I gathered my things and punched out my time card for the last time. The lonely, silent, drive home was quite depressing. All I wanted was a cup of tea and some cuddles.

Once home I made my way inside calling for Harry. I dropped my things in the foyer. “Haz where are ya babe?” I called as I turned the corner into the lounge. I stopped dead in my tracks and squeaked out a little ‘oh’ as I saw blonde hair and green eyes smirking up at me.

“Babe eh? So you two finally made it official?” I stayed quiet as I tried to place where I had seen her before. She stood and made her way towards me, “We haven’t actually met yet. I’m Gemma,” she smiled sweetly as she stuck out her hand.

“Oh,” I blurted out as I shook it. “Harry’s sister.”

She nodded though it wasn’t a question. “And you’re Natalie, Harry’s girlfriend.”

I smiled as I blushed slightly, “Yeah.”

“Good then,” she said as she abruptly turned and made her way back to the couch. “Harry is out golfing with Niall. He doesn’t know I’m here; I found a rather mushy note in the kitchen, said he’d be home later. So I am taking you out to lunch.”

“Oh you don’t have to-”

She waved her hand in dismissal, “Nonsense. I need to get to know the girl that my baby brother is seeing.”

I chuckled, “Fine then. Can I change first?”

“Sure; I’ll be here waiting.”

I nodded as I bolted upstairs and pulled off my sweaty work clothes. I tugged on some clean jeans and a baggy—well baggy on me because it was Harry’s—jumper and ran a brush through my hair. I made my way back downstairs to Gemma, who was admiring the photo of Jen and I that I had placed by the sofa.

She smiled as her eyes briefly met mine then returned to the photo. “Is this your sister?”

“Yeah.”

“You were so young.”