Chapter 22

That night of celebration was my last for a while. I made my schedule for Uni the day after and ordered my books. It had been a week since and I started in two. On top of that, sadly, it was time to say goodbye to Jen and Tanya. “So who am I shipping you off to?”

“Mum first, then dad.”

“How much longer will you be in England?”

“Just a couple weeks; we were supposed to start school this week but we’re taking the semester off.”

“Why’s that?”

“Just need a bit of a break. We’re going to travel some and just enjoy being early twenties. When do you start Lee?”

“Two weeks.”

“Excited?”

“Anxious.” I replied as we pulled into the lot at the train station.

“You’ll be fine!” she said pecking my cheek as she got out of the car.

I climbed out to wait with them until the train arrived. We stood there babbling about senseless things until we heard the train whistle. I wrapped my arms around Jen, “Bye sis, be safe.”

She chuckled in my ear, “Always. I love you Lee.”

“I love you too Fer.”

“Bye Natalie, it was nice meeting you,” Tanya said as I hugged her goodbye.

“You, too. We should do this again soon.”

“I’m sure we’ll see you at Christmas time.”

“Okay then Christmas it is. Bye guys, safe trip.”

“Byeee.”

I watched the train pull away before I traipsed back to my car and drove home in silence. I pulled into the driveway and made my way to Harry’s room, moving most of my stuff back to my room. Due to a lack of sleep, it had already been a long day and it wasn’t even midday yet. Harry was in the studio recording with the lads so I decided to use the alone time to clean-house. I plugged in my headphones and started up my Ed Sheeran/ Maroon 5/ Olly Murs playlist.

I was dusting around the lounge while “The A Team” was playing. “And they say she’s in the class A team, stuck in her daydream,” the music started to fade out. I pulled my phone out to have a look as my ringtone sounded. I hesitated before I answered, “Hello?”

“Hi may I speak to Natalie Hollandsworth please?”

“Yes, this is she.”

“Well hello Miss Hollandsworth. My name is Dan from Le Café Petit. I was calling because I saw that you had called and put in an application for a waitress position a couple weeks ago.”

“Yes I did.”

“Excellent! And I was wondering if you could come in for an interview this afternoon?”

“Yes, yes I can.”

“Great, great. Are you available at half two?”

“Absolutely that works perfectly.”

“Good, then I will see you at the café then.”

“Thank you very much. I will see you then.”

“Buh-bye.”

I hung up and looked at the time, half noon. I ran upstairs quickly and got a shower ready as I searched for professional attire. I grabbed my soft, black slack pants and a white with black stripes t-shirt from my dresser and my dark grey blazer with pinstriped cuffs from my closet. I went back to the bathroom and got in the shower. I hadn’t realized before then that my heart was beating a mile a minute. I calmed and readied myself as I washed. I got out after about twenty minutes and wrapped a towel around my hair as well as one around my body. I rummaged under the sink for my makeup bag and applied a light coat of blush to my cheeks as well as some eyeliner and mascara. I went to my bed and pulled on my clothes fishing on my dresser for my grandmother’s pearls. Once back in the bathroom I undid my hair from the towel, blow drying it and tying it in a tight bun. I went back to my closet and slipped into my heels as I checked the time again, two.

I checked my appearance in the full mirror by my door on my way out of my room and down the stairs. I grabbed my keys and my purse as I wrote Harry a note:

Out for an interview

Be back soon

                 -XOXO Nat

I stuck it on the fridge and made my way to my car. On my way to the café I was trying to calm my nerves and giving myself pep talks before I arrived and made my way inside.

“Well Miss Hollandsworth, I love your personality and I think you’d be a fine addition to staff here. I have a few other candidates coming in for interviews, but I will be in touch over the next week.” He stood and stuck his hand out and I did the same shaking his.

“Well thank you so much for the opportunity and I look forward to hearing from you.”

“You have a lovely day now,” he said showing me to the door.

“And you as well.”

I made my way out of the restaurant to my car and back to Harry’s. I walked in and made my way upstairs to my bedroom to take off my jacket, heels, and pearls and to change into my sweatpants. My stomach growled, reminding me I was hungry so I went back downstairs to the kitchen. I made myself a sandwich and planted myself in front of the telly, flipping through the channels and eating my lunch in peace. I settled on a re-run marathon of Family Guy.

 I yawned as I finished my sandwich, suddenly overcome by exhaustion. I laid down and fell fast asleep within minutes. I vaguely remember being shaken to a semi-conscience state as Harry tried to wake me and send me to my bed. He eventually gave up trying and carried me upstairs, tucking me in bed with a kiss to my forehead. “Sweet dreams Love.”