Chapter 4 - The First Death

After ten minutes or so, they were at my house. I opened the door and they entered. “Thank you for coming.” I thanked, giving them a hug.

        “You're welcome.” They said in unison.

        “What's this?” My mother came into the room. Then, she realized what they were and saw that two of them were no longer human. “How did this happen?” I signaled for her to sit on the couch along with my girlfriends.

        They explained everything.

        The whole story.

        My mother was obviously shocked, but was also relieved to know that it wasn’t their choice. She had known their mother, they had been friends in high school and she knew that if her daughters had done that because they wanted to, a heart attack would break the heart of her friend.

        “So I will leave you.” As she told us, she left the room leaving us too.

        “So what did you want to tell us?”

        “Don't say, you know what Klaus is?!” Meridith said.

        “Yes!” I said, but didn’t know if it had been some kind of a secret.

        “So what?” Lilith asked curiously. “Tell us!”

        “Hybrid.”

        “That is impossible, it doesn’t exist.” Niamith contradicted me.

        “It exists. And that’s what he is.” I clarified. “Please don’t give signs that I told you. Please. I think it was kind of a secret.”

        “Of course not. We won’t.” They said.

        The spirits were attacking me again, but I was just felling them. “Don’t you want to sleep here? As we did before.” I didn’t want to be alone – I must admit. We all laughed and they accepted. I was going to be our girls night.

        We did everything as before: we only drank some mango juice which was our favorite, we told secrets (we didn’t say many, because we didn’t have), we did each other’s makeup like all teenagers do at slumber parties, we polished our nails, we arranged our hair, mine as it was wavy, they straighten it, theirs were completely smooth so I curled them.

        Finally, we fell asleep.

        No dreams this time, not even a single dream, a single thought.

        It was the first night in months that I was sleeping the whole entire night.

        I don’t know if it was because of the presence of more people or the effect of that juice which I didn’t drink for a while.

                                                                                        ***

        Once I got to school, I soon bumped with the cheerleader.

        “Watch your step, Care.”

        “Lindsey... Sorry, I didn’t see you.”

        Lind and I had been best friends when we were in ninth grade, when we did auditions for cheerleaders and we entered but I was one level above her, so she got upset, I left the cheerleader because I was tired of her games and, two years later, she was the leader. A stupid and bulimic leader who just cares about clothes, but she doesn’t even uses it, because she had the cheerleader uniform.