Chapter 21

Gwen felt cold. It was only October, it wasn't really that cold. What she meant was that she felt lonely. But cold sounded less pathetic than lonely. So she pulled her thin cotton scarf tighter around her neck, felt for her locket with her dad's picture in, and turned on a biology podcast from her phone.

She wasn't looking for Peter. Not really. I mean, he was in Oxford. If she bumped into him, then so be it.

Peter needed to get out of the flat he was sharing with Uncle Ben's old friend. It was the only place in Oxford he could find to stay. Inconspicuously. Peter Parker had too much to think about and Spiderman had too much to do. Right now, he didn't want to be either. He just wanted to be Gwen's boyfriend.

And I guess, if this world contains superheroes, maybe fate can conspire to fit desires and dreams. Because on a lamplit street in North Oxford, Gwen and Peter collided and fell headlong into eachother's arms. Peter opened his mouth to speak, but Gwen pressed her finger to his lips. 'Let's make a deal, okay? Let's not talk for the rest of the night. There's too much to say and not enough words, and I don't really understand anything, so let's just be quiet.' She leaned in to kiss him, softly, gently, and for a few hours they just forgot the world.