Chapter 2

At first, Peter didn't hear; his heart and hands were full, trying to bring the twitch back into Gwen's nose and the warmth back into her hands. But another shout from Harry, and he turned round, his face tear stained and his body limp and faltering. 'Harry?' he barely made out. Peter was standing by Gwen's body, and his hand tightened around hers. Harry stood silently, or rather, not Harry but the Green Goblin. What Harry had become. 'Go away!' Peter stared at his manipulated face. 'F**king go away and never come back!'

'Peter! You were supposed to be a life saver. So look at me, look! This is what happens when people don't help their friends. It's your fault, Peter! All this is your fault!'

Harry's words filled the precipice. He was right, Peter thought to himself. It is my fault. 'It's my fault!' He collapsed onto the floor, his hand still in Gwen's. Harry had broken Peter, gotten what he came for, and his Green Goblin suit propelled him out of the tower. Peter almost wished he'd stay; he couldn't bear to be left alone with himself and all these broken promises.

'There's always a choice'. He remembered that from somewhere, maybe his father, and for some reason it struck him now. There's always a choice.