Chapter 1

'Gwen,' Peter whispered. 'Gwen!' He wouldn't let the first tear fall out, because that might signify the end. The first tear would mean it was true, that Gwen really was lying among pieces of broken metal, with screams echoing above her. Screams so hopeless, it was almost as if they knew the brightest light in all of New York City was burning out. 'Gwen! Gwen, wake up!' He slipped his fingers into hers, her smooth pale skin against his bloodstained, red-gloved hand. 'Gwen, I love you. I LOVE you, Gwen. You can't go. You just can't. Cos...cos...cos if you go, there'll be no one else in the world who laughs like you. And I'll be the smartest in science class. I don't want to be the smartest, Gwen, you hear me? And your plane leaves in a few hours, love, you don't want to miss your plane, you earned that place in Oxford and you're gonna go, okay, you're gonna go!' Peter was crying now, heavy chocking sobs that fragmented his speech. 'And what about your brothers, and that way you're like sunlight, and that day we jumped in the leaves, remember that day Gwen?' He knew he wasn't making sense, but he wouldn't stop talking to her, he couldn't stop talking to her. 'What about your lectures, and that grey beret you have, what'll happen to that? Gwen, and your dad, and my promise, remember? Remember your dad? You can't leave him, Gwen. Open your eyes and I'll...I'll do anything for you. I'll do anything for you to open your eyes. Please Gwen. Please, just open your eyes, just...'

Peter's head collapsed onto her chest, and he could've almost sworn he felt her breathe. Almost. 'Gwen, you're my light. You're my hope. You're...you're...'

'Gone?' That spiteful voice echoed through the tower. A voice that knew Peter's secrets, that had been there with him through a lot, and yet a voice Peter felt so alienated from. A voice Peter wanted to silence, forever never to hear again; he wanted that voice dead. Harry's voice.