Chapter 2

I lay on my bed, staring up at the ceiling

I lay on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. School starts in precisely ten minutes, and I'm dreading going. Why do I have to attend this hellhole anyways? Nothing's going to be different. Some of the other zombies, like Zed, believe this will help zombies gain more equality. But it won't.

"Greer! Zed keeps knocking!" Laken complains from downstairs. I sigh, rolling out of bed. Laken sits at the kitchen table, dad's toolbox in her lap. I smirk, messing up her hair as I pass her. She gives me a smile.

"Greer!" Dad calls from the kitchen. "Remember, you're going to Zed's after school! I'll be home after dinner!"

"Okay!" I call back. "Try not to get too dirty!" Dad and Laken laugh. You see, dad has this habit of creating a giant mess whoever he goes, and it's mainly on his clothes. He returns home every other night covered in some type of grease, oil, or food stain. Sometimes even all three.

"Now let me introduce you to my friend Greer." Is the first thing Zed says when I exit my house. Or, sings, I should say.

"It's way, too early. Can I just stay here?" I point to my house. Zed rolls his eyes, grabbing my hand and pulling me away. We arrive at Eliza's, Zed knocking obnoxiously.

She opens, and Zed sings again. "Okay, then let me introduce you to my friend Eliza."

"We'll never be accepted. Zombies need to rise up." Eliza sings back. I groan. So, guess the singing thing is happening. Great. They continue to sing, some other zombies joining with them.

We arrive at school moments later, and the first thing I notice is metal. From a fence. Blocking us from the humans. A girl with a head of blonde hair stands before me, gazing at the campus. I turn my head, catching Zed's gaze on the human. My eyes harden at the girl as she enters the building. Some guards enter the door on our side, and I groan.

Zed steps in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulder. "Hey, we're in a real school. No more classes in a dingy basement. This is gonna be awesome!"