Chapter 10

Zombie mash, the one time us zombies can let loose and have fun

Zombie mash, the one time us zombies can let loose and have fun. And Zed had to ruin that.

"Why?" I ask him as I approach him and his guest. "Why did you bring sticky bon cheerleader here?" Addison stares around the building in awe, a smile on her face. For some reason, her smile makes me want to punch her. "Zombie only party, Zed."

Zed sighs, grabbing my hand. I let him pull me close, and I curse myself for letting him make me so weak. "I know, you're upset. But she really wants to learn more about us. I figured what better way to learn about zombies than a party?" I roll my eyes, but don't protest. Addison wanders off to the wall, gazing at our language. There's not many zombies left that still speak it, but Bonzo and his family do. Even though we don't speak it, we all understand it. "Zombie tongue. Rich language. We have twenty-three different words for brains." Zed tells her.

Addison laughs. "So, you like a girl with brains?" My veins boil with anger, and I stomp over to the blonde.

"You better watch yourself." I sneer at her. Addison's eyes widen.

"Greer-" Zed begins, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"No." Eliza cuts in, joining the three of us, arms crossed over her chest. "Don't stop her, Zed. That was super offensive." Eliza also glares at the blonde, who stutters for an apology. "Save it."

Addison recoils, gaping for words. A metallic-like groan sounds from somewhere, and I sigh in relief. It's starting. Finally. I quickly jog off, taking my place against the wall. Zed jogs off, Addison following after him.

Zed begins to sing, moving around and dancing as he does so. Not gonna lie, he's looks incredibly adorable. Almost like he knows I'm thinking of him, he looks my way, sending me a wink as he runs off somewhere else.

My cue arrives, and Zed suddenly appears next to me. "I'm about to show you." He sings, draping his arm across my shoulders.

"What you gonna show me?" We walk away from the wall, and I smile as I see other zombies dancing and having fun.

"Guess nobody told you."

"You ain't gotta tell me." I spin out of his grip, smirking as he pouts.

"I'm about to put in work."

I notice Addison not to far away, so I head over to her. "Listen, this is my turf." I bump her shoulder with mine. The song continues, Eliza eventually joining in. My mood worsens when Addison joins. Why? Why is everyone so okay with her just waltzing into our lives? She's human, and humans are terrible.

When the song ends, Zed grabs my hand, pulling me to a vacant bench. I notice him gripping his wrist, wincing in pain. I quickly grab his hand, lifting his sleeve. I gasp. His wrist is red and irritated, dark scratches coated in dried up blood. "Zed, your wrist."

He pulls his hand out of my grip, pulling his sleeve down. "It's nothing."

"Don't you dare lie to me."

Zed sighs. "I mess with my Z band for the games. It makes me stronger, so we'll win." I realize why he's doing it. He wants a change, and he believes winning football games will make the change happen.

I'm about to speak, but voices in the zombie-light garden cause me to lose my focus. I groan, immediately knowing who it is. I rise from my seat, quickly walking into the other room. Laken and Zoey stand on the ramp, poms in their hands. But they're not alone, Addison is with them.

"But I think you're old enough for a real dog." She says to them. "Wouldn't that be awesome?"

"Shut up." I say, crossing my arms over my chest as I stand next to my sister. "Zombies aren't allowed to have pets. Don't you know that, human?"

Addison shakes her head. "I didn't know. I'm so sorry." She sighs. "I'm still learning that zombies aren't what I was taught. Take you, for example." She gestures in my direction. "You're smart, pretty, know what you want. You're amazing."

"Flattery isn't going to get you anywhere." I tell her. I turn to my sister. "What are you doing here?"

"Please, we're not going to miss a zombie mash." She relies, rolling her eyes.

I pick her up, setting her on the ground next to me. "Yes, you are. The police could arrive any minute, I don't want you here in case they do." Laken groans, knowing I'm right.

Eliza and Zed arrive, Zed quickly going to his sister. I smile as I watch the two of them. Zed has always cared so much for her, even more so when their mother died. Eliza steps in, grabbing Zoey and Laken by the hands. "I'll take them home. Addison, wanna come with? It's getting late, I'll take you to the border." Addison nods, smiling at Zed before leaving with Eliza.

Zed takes my hand, leading me up the ramp into the light filled area we like to call a park. He hums a song, pulling me close as we begin to sway. He moves his head, leaning it against mine. I shift my head, placing my lips on his. My eyes flutter shut as I take in this moment.

Just like almost every moment we have, it gets ruined. "Zombies, show yourselves!" Zed and I break apart. The lights shut off, leaving us in the dark. Zed pulls me into a corner, standing in front of me protectively as he blocks me from view. I hold my breath, praying no one finds us.