Chapter 15

I rise before dawn, quietly changing and grabbing my bag

I rise before dawn, quietly changing and grabbing my bag. The sounds of soft snores emit from the room next to mine. Laken. I enter her room, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead before leaving. When I enter the kitchen, Dad sits at the table, a coffee mug in hand. He doesn't say anything when he sees the bag, only smiles.

Something clutters to the ground upstairs, footsteps stomping hard into the stairs. Laken emerges, hair wild and out of breath. "I want to help." She says to me. "I can pick lock dad's toolbox. I can cause a distraction. I'll do anything, just let me help."

I sigh, bending down to her level. "I know you want to help, and I know you'd be a great help. But what if we get caught? I'm your big sister, I'm supposed to protect you. And if we get caught, we'd be sent to the facility without any questions. I'm not going to let that happen to you."

Laken's eyes water. "What about you? What if you get caught? I need you. I don't want to lose you." I crush her into a hug.

"You're not losing me. Not today, not ever."

"Promise?"

I hesitate before answering. "Promise." Hopefully I'm able to keep it.

~

Eliza and I, along with five others, stand outside the stadium. There are lots of people, tons of people. It's perfect. A guard exits out from the back door, and when he's far enough away, the seven of us stealthily head over to the door. The first I see when entering the building, is that it's dark. One dim light hangs from the ceiling. A bucket and set of cleaning supplies let's me know it's the janitors closet.

We exit the room, tiptoeing underneath the bleachers. I let my bag fall to the ground. Eliza opens it, pulling out a non-fusible disconnect. She hands it to me. I open the circuit box, attaching the disconnect tool to the wires. While I do this, Eliza opens her computer, hacking into the stadiums software.

She tells me it's ready, and I put my hand on the lever. Before I can switch it though, arms wrap around my waist, picking me up and spinning me away from the box. "Why are you always doing this? Why can't you just let me, for once, complete my sabotage plan?" I groan.

Zed glares at me. "You don't want to do this, Greer." He tells me.

"Actually, I kinda do."

Zed rolls his eyes. "Think about it. What good will this bring us? This isn't going to change anything."

"That's where you're wrong. This, making humans fear us, will change everything. They'll see that we are not a force to be reckoned with. We will fight, and we will not stop until we get the freedom we deserve."

"I agree with Greer." A voice chimes in.

"Go away, sticky bon cheerleader." I groan. "Wait, what?"

"Us humans need to change. I'll help you get you freedom."

Zed waves his hands in the air. "Stop this. Fighting and rebelling isn't going to fix anything. You know why? Because we aren't the monsters. Neither are the humans. We'll find another way to get our freedom." Zed stares at me while he speaks.

The crowd above us begins to boo. Curious, we all move so we can see the cheer mat. Standing there, cheering, are Zoey and Laken. Despite the booing and awful things the humans are shouting at them, they continue to wave their poms.

"Damn it, Laken." I mutter. "I told her to stay home."

"But look." Sticky bon cheerleader tells me. "They're changing things."

"By cheering?"

"That's not how change works." Eliza protests. "You don't just wave poms and chant."

"You're right." Zed speaks up from besides me. "Nothing will change if there's only two of them."

I realize what he's thinking, and I furiously shake my head. "Oh no. I am not stepping a single toe onto that mat."