Chapter 6

Eliza, Zed, Bonzo, and I enter the basement, talking about the party coming up this weekend

Eliza, Zed, Bonzo, and I enter the basement, talking about the party coming up this weekend. Zombie parties are what I look forward to the most. It's a time for us to let go and be ourselves. Other zombies talk about it as well, excitement radiating from their bodies.

"Hey! There are no humans in here!" The janitor shouts, pointing our way. I turn around, groaning when I see Addison behind us.

"Sorry." She apologizes sheepishly. "Somebody yakked in the cafeteria."

"Right, I'm still the janitor." He gathers his cart, wheeling it out the door.

"Addison, what are you doing here?" Zed questions the blonde.

"I wanted to apologize, again." She replies. "Mainly to Greer since she won't accept my apology." Zed sends me a look, and I roll my eyes.

Addison, Zed, Eliza, and even Bonzo stare at me, waiting for me to accept her weak apology. "Fine." I huff. "If I accept your apology will you leave me alone?" Addison nods. "Then you're somewhat forgiven." Before anyone can protest, I turn in my heels, plopping down into my seat.

The four continue speaking, until the janitor returns and makes Addison leave. Zed sits besides me, grabbing my hand. I smile at him, but the look on his face tells me I'm not going to be happy much longer. "How do you feel about a pep assembly?"

So that's where I find myself four hours later. At a stupid pep assembly. Almost the entire student body is there, cheering as they wait for the cheerleaders to arrive and perform. I follow Eliza up the bleachers, immediately plopping down into the first empty spot I find.

The cheerleaders arrive shortly after, the crowd jumping to their feet. I would've remained sitting, but Zed grabbed me by my arms and forced me up. I glare at him, and he returns it with a smile he knows I find extremely adorable. Groaning, I punch him in the shoulder, which emits a laugh from his lips.

The assembly begins, the cheerleaders performing their routine. I watch as they suddenly grab candlesticks, waving them around. Although it's far away, I can practically feel the burn from its heat. My hand subconsciously rubs my left arm. Bonzo screams, knocking Zed and I to the ground as he charges for the candlesticks. I groan as my head hits the bleachers. Eliza carefully helps me. I notice Zed is no longer besides me. Instead, he's done on the court, ramming into football players. They go flying, but Zed doesn't stop. I see why. Addison is up in the air, with no one to catch her. Zed manages to just in time though.

The crowd cheers for him, but I don't hear them. All I can see is the way Addison stares at Zed. She looks at him the way I do. With love and affection. My heart sinks to my stomach.

I grab my bag, hoisting it up on my shoulder. I don't bother saying bye to Eliza, I just walk down the bleachers and leave the auditorium.

Laken doesn't question why I return home early. She just smiles as I ruffle her hair on my way to my room.