Chapter 3

"You're right, Zed

"You're right, Zed. This is so much better than a dingy basement." Zed glares at me, frowning as he does so. We are not in a classroom like Zed naively thought we would be. Nope, we're in a basement. Again.

"Hey, it's an improvement." Eliza speaks up from besides me. "This one actually has desks." Bonzo places his bag on one, it immediately falling apart. "Well, at least there aren't any mice."

A human woman, who holds her hands up in disgust, stands before us. She introduces herself as the principal, telling us how she's forced to allow us to attend this school. She shrieks as she snakes between desks.

When she comes towards the four of us, about to leave, Zed stops her. "I was just wondering...how do I try out for the football team?"

"And the computer coding club?" Eliza chimes in.

"Music." Bonzo speaks up, holding his handmade tuba, or whatever he calls it.

Principal Lee casts her eyes on me, eyebrow quirked up. "Oh, I don't do extracurricular activities." I glare at the principal when she says they can't do anything. We have to stay in this stupid basement, while the humans get to run around and do whatever. She leaves, muttering nonsense as she does so. The janitor, who is now our teacher, begins the lesson.

As I'm standing in boredom, something nudges my ribs. I turn to hell at Zed, already knowing it's him. He lifts a finger to his lips, motioning for me to be silent. He grabs my hand, and we slowly sneak out of the basement. "Zed, what are we doing?"

"We, Greer, are going exploring." He replies, swinging our interlocked hands. "Plus, I really want to try out for the football team."

I roll my eyes, trying not to focus on how good my hand feels in his. "Always a double motive with you." We chuckle at that. As we round the corner, I bump into a human girl. In return, she shrieks, running away to pull a lever. An alarm goes off, telling people to evacuate because there's rogue zombies.

Students begin rushing out of the classrooms, screaming as they do so. I groan. Some boys appear down the hallway, pointing at us. When they begin sprinting at us, Zed and I begin running away. They chase us for a good five minutes before Zed and I find safety in, ironically, a zombie safe room.

I realize that Zed and I have stopped walking. I also realize how close we are. Our shoulders touching, hands still intertwined. Zed turns slightly, so we stand in front of each other instead side by side. I can sense the heat radiating off of him, feel his chest rise and sink as he breathes, feel his breath fanning my face. He's taller than me, always has been, but with his head hung low, I'm able to make out the outline of his lips.

The door opens, light shining on us. Zed steps back, pulling us behind a shelf stacked with boxes. "Hello?" A feminine voice says out loud.

"Hello?" I slap Zed on the shoulder when he replies.

"Hello?" The girl asks again.

"Why, hello." Zed holds up his hands as I move to smack him again. Why is he talking back? He should've kept his mouth shut. Now we're going to be forced back to that stupid basement.

"Don't get any ideas, buster." I can vaguely see the girl making her way towards us. "The only thing more deadly than my high kick is my low kick." She giggles, and I force myself not to gag.

"I'm sorry." Zed apologizes. "This just isn't how I was expecting my first day at a new school to go." He steps out from behind the shelf, and I follow after him.

"You weren't expecting to be trapped in a zombie safe room?"

"Oh, no. That I expected." The girl chuckles at his words. "That happens to me all the time. It's sort of my thing." They continue walking closer to each other, me staying by Zed's side. "So, I'm not gonna get low kicked?"

"You're safe. For now." I roll you my eyes. She doesn't sound threatening at all. She sounds like a chihuahua.

"I'm Zed." Said boy introduces. "What's your name?"

"Addison. Nice to meet you." The lights suddenly flicker on, and I realize the girl is literally a foot away from us. "Zombies!" She swings a fist at my face, but I manage to grab it before she can punch me.

I glare at her, hand gripping her fist. "Bad idea."