Chapter 5

"Stop moving

"Stop moving."

"But it hurts." Laken complains, moving her head again.

"It would be less painful if you stayed still." I retort. She listens, huffing as she crosses her arms over her chest. Laken insisted I braided her hair for her, which is taking longer than expected because she won't stop moving around. It's Saturday. Finally, school is over. Well, at least for a little bit. The past few days have been uneventful. We're still stuck in a basement and humans are still afraid of us. Sticky non cheerleader tried apologizing to Zed and I , but I walked away before she could get very far. Zed was upset at me due to that, but oh well.

"Do you think one day I could be a cheerleader?" Laken asks me. I pause, my fingers still in her hair.

"Of course you can." I tell her.

"So, I could really cheer with humans?" I sigh, tying a ponytail in her dark green hair. Both of our hair color is like that, we got it from dad.

Laken turns to look at me. "I don't know, sweetie." She averts her eyes to the ground.

"Why can't humans just like us?" She mutters. "We're not evil."

I wrap my arms around her, pulling her into a hug. "No, we're not evil. You are not evil. Humans are the evil ones."

"Is that why you're in charge of the Revolution? Because you hate them so much?" She doesn't know. She'll never know.

"Humans are evil creatures. They hurt each other and wonder why their world is so messed up. They want their world to change, to become better, but they won't do anything to make it happen. They lie, steal, and cause harm. And yet they call us the monsters." Laken stiffens at the word monsters. "But we are not monsters. We will make the world a better place, because we will do something to change it. You will become a cheerleader, Lake. I promise."