Chapter 1

I stand on top of car, staring at the crowd before me

I stand on top of car, staring at the crowd before me. They talk amongst themselves, loud words echoing into the night sky. Eliza, standing next to me, bangs a trash can lid on the wire pole besides her. The chattering quiets immediately. I send Eliza a grateful nod, and she gives me a small smile in return.

"Listen up!" I shout. "You all know why we're here. The city council has decided to allow us zombies into their schools." Whispers travel through the audience. "This may seem like an improvement to equality, but it isn't. Mark my words, humans still -and always will- fear us. In their eyes, we will never be equal to them. So, we need to overpower them." People begin to murmur. "We're stronger! A lot stronger. If humans won't give us respect, we'll make them wish they had. They'll be the ones trapped behind a wall! They'll do our dirty work! They'll be the ones afraid leave their homes!" The crowd cheers with me. "We've hidden in fear far too long! It's our time to gain the control we once lost. The Revolution starts today, with all of you. But this change can only happen if we work together. Now, who's with me!" I throw my fist in the air, the audience doing it with me as they cheer. I stand pridefully, smirking as I watch the crowd scream and shout.

Someone weaves through the zombies, pushing and shoving until they stand in front of me. Zed. He stares at me, disappointment in his eyes. I jump off the car, landing next to him. "Greer, this isn't going to help. You know that. This Revolution is a stupid idea."

I roll my eyes at him. "It's time for a change, Zed. If humans won't welcome us, we'll run them out of Seabrook."

The crowd slowly disperses, leaving Eliza, Zed, Bonzo, and I behind. Bonzo mutter something in zombie before heading home. Eliza only nods at me before doing the same. Zed continues to stare. I roll my eyes again, moving to head home. Zed grabs my arm, preventing me from moving. "G, why do you want to do this?"

"Why are you asking? You know the answer."

"You can be different. You don't have to be like them. Follow your own path." Zed pleads.

"This is my path." I shake my arm free, pushing past him to go home.