15: Stoker's Secret

Chapter 14

Stoker's Secret

Stratos needle – Revolving Lounge

It had been about thirty minutes since the downhill event on Olympus Mons. There would be a one-day interval between it and the next event. In the meantime, the Biker Mice and company, along with everyone on Project: D was in a buzz about Takumi's record-shattering race!

"Fifteen seconds!" Ituski raved. "FIFTEEN!! I could not be any more proud or ecstatic!"

"Just think, man! You shattered a record for this event! You should be proud!" Iketani praised Takumi.

"I guess..." Takumi said, humbled. That earned him a kiss on the cheek from Mika, and a side-hug from Natsuki.

Manuel just smiled at Takumi. "So far, this event is turning out awesome." Manuel then looked out the window, the joy vanishing from his face. "I just wish..."

"Wish what?" Throttle asked, as everyone noticed Manuel's mood change.

"...I was just thinking about Hector." Manuel said. "Thinking how happy he would be if he knew how far I've come since... you know. Since I last saw him."

"Who's Hector?" Shinji blurted out without thinking, which earned him a scowl from Takumi, Ryoske and Keisuke. Keisuke was getting ready to tell off Shinj for asking such a question, but Manuel was able to cut him off before Keisuke could say a word.
"He was my older brother." Manuel explained "The reason I decided to get into racing in the first place... You could say he's the reason we are all here, right now... He died in his last race, and that's all I will say right now. I'll tell you about it sometime later, if we have time."

Shinji went silent after that.

"Don't worry about it, Manuel." Stoker said, patting him on the shoulder. "I'm positive he's watching you from beyond, and pleased with you for getting this far. Hell, you're helping to lead a legendary team in the greatest race this side of the cosmos! I bet he's bragging about you as we speak..."

Manuel had to fight down the tears that were threatening to well up in his eyes. "Thanks, Stoke. I needed that."

That's when everyone heard Manuel's stomach growl, followed in sequence by everyone else's.

"Well, that begs another question to be answered: What are we having to eat tonight?" Manuel laughed.

"Come on, let's see what we can whip up." Modo said, leading the group to the hotel's elevators so they could go to the kitchen.

Stoker trailed behind a bit. He could feel a presence there with him, in the room. Then, he heard and saw him, a faint outline in the room, resembling a human.

"I'm glad to see that you continue to support my brother, Stoke." Hector spoke, from beyond the grave. "You, Throttle, and the others bring up his spirit when he needs it the most. But you have not told him about what he doesn't know. About us, and how I know you as well. Why?"

Stoker sighed. "I'm planning on telling him after the event is finished. I just don't know how to tell him right now without screwing up his concentration. I don't want him ruining his chances because he's seething over something I didn't say..."

"I understand." Hector replied. "Just don't forget to tell him when the event is done. He will understand, don't worry. So don't be fearful of it. He won't take it personally."

The outline then vanished into thin air, along with Hector's voice.