12: Olympus Mons Touge - PT 1

Several hours Later...

Olympus Mons Road...

Takumi and the rest of Project: D was at the Top of Olympus Mons Road with a Freedom Fighter pit crew as they looked over and finalized the Eight-Six's settings for his run in the downhill event for the Olympus Mons mountain pass event.

Takumi remembered speaking to Throttle with the other drivers about the rules earlier for the contest. In each event, you won a small medal and trinket if you got into the top 3, but that was just the beginning. Each event that each team participated in was also tracked and marked up into a point total. The team with the highest point total by the end of Redline would be awarded the Redline Masters' Cup, and their names would be taken down into the Redline Archives, along with their rides, designs and all. There was a lot riding on this, and Takumi was feeling the pressure. If he didn't get a good score out of this event, they would struggle throughout the rest of Redline!

At the moment, he was overlooking the course map, which consisted of tons sharp corners and of hairpins with some straightaways in between, along with steep elevation changes. Each driver would get two practice runs before going on three timed runs, the run with the quickest time being the one taken down for the ranking.

"Something bothering you, Takumi? You look like you are going to blow a gasket or something." Ryoske said.

" Ryoske said

"...I'm just having a case of nerves, that' s all." Takumi said.

"Just take it easy, Takumi." Mika reassured as she recorded with her camera alongside Reina. "I'm sure you will do fine. You are a pro at this."

Takumi scratched his head. He knew Mika was right about that. So he went over and looked at the settings, then at the course map. Takumi had to get an idea of what kind of settings he would need for his practice run. "...I think the suspension needs to be stiffer in the front. About 5 Pounds per inch more should be good to start us off. We can make better adjustments after the practice run."

"Good thinking." Bunta complimented. "You've learned a lot since your early days."

"Got it. 5 pounds per inch on the spring stiffness." Yuya said, writing down the adjustments. "Anything else you want adjusted before the race?"

Takumi started to think out all the variables he could. "...I can't think of anything else right now. I'll let you know if there is anything that we can improve after my first run down."

"Got it." Yuya turned to the pit crew and instructed them to stiffen the springs to Takumi's desired specification.

"Well, I guess I'm ready." Takumi said.

"Knock 'em for a loop, Takumi!" Mika said as she smiled.

"Yeah, what she said!" Natsuki agreed.

Takumi went over to his car and put on his racing helmet. This would be the first time he had ever worn one. Throttle, Yuya, and the freedom fighter pit crew finished up the Eight-Six's settings, and lowered it off the jacks.

"Everything's good." Throttle said. "Give 'em something to talk about."

Takumi got into the Eight-Six, started the engine, and drove over to the starting line.