chapter nineteen

the rest of the week went by quick and soon enough it was sunday. jackie reminded me about the game every time i saw her. she also already had her outfit planned out, she wanted to wear a sweatshirt and her silvertips shirt the got from the last game over it.

"so then i can stay warm and have the player sign my shirt after the game!" she told dad and i her plan at breakfast this morning. dad told her that it was a smart idea and that he was glad she was so excited.

later we got to the arena and sat in our seats. dad was proud about the seats that he bought, they weren't in the nosebleeds. while waiting for warm-ups to start i play with the hem of the jersey carter gave me.

"sorry im not letting you hang out with carter tonight." he pauses and i look at him. "its a school night and i know you've been stressed about college so i just want you to get some sleep and have a good start to the week." him saying that makes me feel guilty for having a plan to sneak around with carter. "i can tell you really like him and hopefully he feels the same because he's a good guy."

"i like him too! he could be like my brother!" jackie cheered.

i smiled lightly, "i understand and have to thank you for looking out for me. and yeah i really like him i was just hoping he would make the first move." i laugh slightly out of worry.

"he will, he's a respectful guy i have no doubt he just wants to make sure you feel the same way he does." dad says smiling and holds my hand. i nod and thank him again.

warm-ups went by quick. it was nice to see carter again even if it was with all of his gear on. jackie sat on dads lap for a bit so she could ask me who was who on the team.

"number 23 is jake, he was at dinner that night." she nodded. "number 14 is riley the one dating annie."

"oh sutter!" she says his nickname that i call him most of the time.

"and you know carter, he's 70 and the one in the goal. I've only met one other person and his name is connor, i think he's 43."

"what does he look like?" she watches the game as i pull up connors instagram. i tap her shoulder to get her attention.

"never seen him but he's cuter than carter." she smiles and dad just laughs.

"well i think carter is just fine thank you very much." i sass back at her.

this game had everyone on the edge of their seat. nobody had scored until the third period when connor had scored. i was surprised and excited but carter had mention that it was connor's thing to score first. hoping for another shutout for carter may have jinxed it because five minutes later the other team scored making it tied again. the clock went out signaling overtime. all three of us scared of the outcome but had lots of trust in the goalie.

by the time overtime started everyone was on their feet and cheering so we did the same. dad held jackie so she could still see. one guy got a breakaway and started heading near carter. i put my hands together and held them tight nervously. the guy started to deke almost getting carter but he stopped the puck saving the day. i sighed with relief and cheered with everyone else.

the people behind us cheered for carter loudly, "number one hockey boy!" they yelled making me smile at the fact they called him that.

a minute later garrett pilon scored a goal winning the game for the tips. smiling widely i cheered and high five jackie.

"that was so much fun!" jackie yelled loudly causing people around us to laugh and mile at her.

"good, im glad you liked it. you excited to meet them?" dad asked.