chapter two

"why are they so tall?" jackie asked as annie pulled out of the parking lot.

"maybe we're just short." i responded.

"maybe you guys are just short and i just haven't gotten that tall yet." annie and i laugh.

we got to the diner a couple seconds before the boys did. "well what if you stay that height forever?" i ask her as we get out of the car.

"that would be terrible! i would never be able to ride rollercoasters!" everyone was having a conversation of their own entering the diner. an older lady grabbed multiple menus and one kids menu then brought us to a table. "i wouldn't even be able to reach the cookies!" jackie proceeded to say as she sat in the chair at the end of the table. i sat on one side of the table and annie sat next to me. riley sat at the other end of the table while carter sat across from me and jake sat across from annie.

"but you'd still be small enough to play on the playground."

"that would be awesome! but id still want to ride rollercoasters."

i looked up and saw carter have a confused look on his face. "we were talking about if jackie stayed that height forever."

"not being able to ride rollercoasters would be really sad." he spoke, his voice was nice, i wanted him to speak more.

jackie colored her menu as a different lady came over to ask what we wanted to drink.

"um, water." he said.

"ill have water and she'll have milk." everyone else ordered and i got a text from dad.

'you still at the game?'

'at dinner with some friends and jackie, will be home in an hour or so.'

'ok, i won't be home till 2 am so don't wait up for me. love you and jackie.'

'love you too.'

"will you play tick-tack-toe with me. normally i ask devon to play with me but she always wins." jackie said giving carter a crayon, he laughed then nodded.

i looked over to annie, riley and jake, they were having a conversation about music. so i just watched carter and jackie play games.

jackie had always been more outgoing than me but she had been really outgoing tonight. "carter how old are you?" she asked coloring the penguin purple.

"19, how old are you?"

"i just turned 7! but im mature for my age." both carter and i laughed.

"and you are how old?" carter looked at me. my eyes went wide.

"18."

"devon's birthday is two days before mine! but she's 11 years older than me." she went back to coloring and minded her own business.

carter leaned forward and put his elbows on the table, "so what are some of your hobbies?"

"oh, uh, i like photography and baseball."

"i should have assumed that," he pointed to my sweater. "so do you like hockey?"

"i watch it when dad watches it but i don't keep up with it often. do you like hockey?" i joked.

he laughed, "yeah i like that silvertips team, their goalie is pretty cool." i assumed that he was the goalie.

"yeah i might have to be a fan of them too, the goalie had some pretty good saves tonight." we both smiled then the waitress came back with our drinks and asked us if we were ready to order.

"ill just have french fries and she/ll have the chicken nuggets with french fries." i gestured towards jackie.

i looked to the left of me and saw annie with her hand under the table holding hands with riley. she looked at me and panicked but i let her know it was ok.

-

we ate our food and chatted with each other.

"im gonna head home, later guys. nice to meet you annie, devon and my favorite, jackie!"

"bye jake!" jackie high-fived him as he left.

after jake left annie had texted me.

'do you mind if riley and i leave?'

'yeah i guess. have fun.'

'you sure'

'yeah!'

"well if you guys don't mind annie and i are going to head out." riley announced.

"goodnight guys!" annie got up and waved.

"how are-" jackie was about to say something but i nudged her to make her stop.

"bye guys!" i said and they left leaving carter, jackie and i.

"how are we suppose to get home?" jackie finishes what she never got to say.

"if i had a car id take you guys home but i don't." carter says.

"it's ok, i probably shouldn't have let them go but i was just trying to be nice." i hung my head.

"well do you two don't mind if i walk you ladies home?"

-

[a/n woop woop another chapter]