chapter fifteen

friday finally rolled around. the school day felt long because i had been thinking about tonight.

"annie you coming over?" i asked her as the bell rang and we left the building.

"yeah!"

we got in my car and waited in traffic to get out of the school parking lot. "i don't know if anyone has anything planned after the game but we should probably expect to do something."

"oh, uh, yeah i guess i should probably make sure its ok with dad." i pulled into the driveway to my house. dads car was there and i was hoping he picked up jackie. "we're home, we as in annie and i!"

"annie!" jackie yelled running from the living room.

"hey jackie!"

"are you guys staying the night? can we have a girls night please."

"awe jackie that sounds like fun but your sister and i have plans tonight." annie disappointing her.

"ugh, well have fun with carter devon." jackie sassed as she went back to the living room.

"what- how'd you-?" i questioned.

dad said hi but we went upstairs to my room to get ready. i took my sweater off and changed my pants, skinny jeans and a t-shirt. i couldn't stop staring at the jersey.

"do you think its a sign?" i asked annie.

"what are you talking about?"

"the jersey, do you think it means something. like not necessarily the jersey itself but the act of him giving it to me?"

"yeah i guess, maybe him saying that he really likes you."

"thats what i was thinking but i thought i was just overthinking it." i held the jersey in my hand and started putting it on.

"so devon," annie started. "riley and i are officially dating."

"what! when!" i jumped up and hugged her.

"wednesday night when i got home, he came over after practice just to ask me in person."

"annie thats so cute and im so happy for you! why didn't you tell me earlier!"

"well i wanted to make sure he wasn't messing with me. i knew he wasn't but it just didn't seem real, i mean i haven't had a caring boyfriend in a long time." she said carefully  putting more mascara on her eyes. annie's dated a few guys these past four years but never lasted just like every other high school relationship.

we finished up getting ready and headed out. but not without saying bye to jackie and dad.

"oh your going to a game?" dad asked.

"yeah, thats ok right?"

"well yeah, can't say no now. but i bought tickets for sunday next week because your sister wanted to go."

"ok, it'll be fun, family night."

"yup, and i told her we'd stay after for the skate with the players."

"sounds good, see you later dad."

"bye steve!" annie yelled giggling after. she whispered after, "steve for prez!" i laugh.

"bye girls!"

-

the game wasn't the best but the tips still won. 4-3 with the game winning goal thanks to connor dewar and carter making a hell of a save.

it was late but dad said i could stay out till 12. so carter, riley, annie and i decide to get some coffee. we left before the boys so we got to the cafe that annie and i go to with the girls. we go up to the counter and start to order when the boys entered the building in fashion i might add.

"hey, nice suits." i compliment them.

"thanks, you know, just my casual look." riley straightens his sleeves. i laugh then turn around to tell the middle-aged man my order.

"a small lemonade please," i say and start to get my money out.

"and ill have a small decaf coffee please," carter manages to sneak his way to the counter and is already swiping his card. i hit him in the arm and give him a dirty look but he just smirks. after he pays we move to the pickup station.

"i could have payed for my drink," i said.

"it was two dollars its not a big deal."

"you're a pain," i can't help but smile. the same guy from the register sets our drinks on the counter and we grab them. "thank you!" walking towards a table carter place his hand on my lower back making me jump a little. we sit down next to each other when riley and annie get their drinks.

"you and sutter played well tonight."

"thanks but it could've been better. but we won so im not going to complain."

annie sits across from me and riley sits next to him. they sit close and riley kisses her cheek, it was cute. my phone buzzed in my hand.

'did they win?'

'yeah 4-3 now at the cafe :)'

'good, stay safe and have fun. tell carter i say hi'

'will do'

"my dad says hi," i tell carter.

"oh tell steve i say hi!" i chuckle but text my dad saying he says hi.

the rest of the night was us goofing around making bad jokes and many inside jokes. it was getting close to 12 so annie and i decided we should head out. carter and i left the building to talk outside and leave the couple to have some time to themselves.

"so im coming to another game," i bring up and his face lights up. "not this sunday but the one after that jackie, dad and i are going."

"is that a game when theres a team skate after?" i nod, "awesome, i can't wait."

"hey im the one whose suppose to be excited about your game." he shrugs. "well i had a good night."

"me too. id say we should do it again soon but we have away games. we leave tomorrow and come back thursday."

as much as it made me sad it would probably be good for me to get back to focussing on school. "well have fun and message me!"

"of course." he says as riley and annie come towards the car. we quickly hug and he kisses my cheek making my face turn bright red. "goodnight beautiful." he whispers in my ear.

"goodnight."

the boys leave and annie and i get int the car to head back to my house. annie freaking about the move that carter made on me but i try to stay calm specially when im driving even though im freaking out.

-

[a/n wow the leafs leafed whats new]