chapter five

my alarm went of letting me know i had to get up for school. i groan but get up and decide to take a shower. i take a quick shower, let my hair air dry, and change. i throw on black jeans, a t-shirt and my black jacket.

"devon hurry up your pancakes are going to get cold!" jackie yelled from the end of the hallway. i put my contacts in, wash my hands and run to the dinning room.

"chocolate chip pancakes?" jackie nodded shoving her face with pancakes.

i sat down and as soon as i go to eat a piece of my pancakes my phone dings.

messages

annie + devon

annie

want to hangout after school?

with riley and carter

devon

you had me at hangout lost me at riley and carter

annie

what, why??? pleassseee

devon

i will if you tell me why im going and why carters going

annie

because you like him and i told riley to bring him

devon

ANNIE

he probably knows i think he's cute because riley probably told him

annie

no don't worry i didn't say anything i just said that you and i already planned to hangout so he should bring a friend to make sure you're not a third wheel so he said he'd bring carter

devon

you're lucky i love you

"dad i'm hanging out with friends after school are you able to pick jackie up after school?"

"good morning to you too!" dad says with attitude.

"sorry, morning."

"and yes i can pick her up. how long are you staying out because i can cook dinner for us tonight." he says taking a seat at the table. "it's a friday night maybe we can watch the game when everyones home?" jackie was excited to tell dad that she enjoys hockey. i think dad was more excited to hear her say that.

"who are they playing!" jackie somehow still had so much energy even though she got less sleep than normal on a school night.

"the bruins!"

"where are they from?"

"boston."

"cool," jackie shoved more pancake in her mouth.

dad's a huge canucks fan because thats where he grew up. but my mom was from toronto so she naturally was a maple leafs fan. she met my dad at a vancouver vs toronto game when my dad accidentally spilt his beer on her. he offered to buy her another beer and a new shirt. every time he tells me the story i remind him that it's the most cliche thing that could happen but still cute. so my mom moved to vancouver, got married to my dad and had me. when i was ten mom got sick and passed away, the worst thing that happened to me but my dad was always there for me, thankfully.

"sunday they play toronto we should at least watch that game," dad said taking our plates.

"sounds good dad," i grab my backpack and kiss both jackie and dad on the cheek before leaving. "bye! love you both!"

"bye, tell annie i say hi!" jackie yells.

-

i get to school and automatically find annie and taylor. "good morning ladies."

"good morning, hey are you free fourth block today?" taylor asked.

"yeah i have study hall."

"good, can you come to the digital arts room and help me with my potfolio?" she asked.

"of course, you still applying to RISD and Columbia?" she nodded. "good, ok i have to but ill see you guys at lunch!" i said bye and went to trigonometry and pre-calculus. my phone vibrates in my hand and i assume it's annie messaging me again but its not.

direct messages

carter + devon

carter

hey its carter from the other night

you probably knew that

anyways, are you still hanging out with sutter and annie later?

devon

hey! yeah i still plan to unless something comes up

carter

well i was wondering if you wanted to ditch them and go skating at the outdoor rink downtown

devon

sure! sounds fun, ill text you later, i have to go learn calculus

carter

ok talk later and have fun :)

i put my phone away and look at my hands. there shaking a lot because i could not believe that just happened.

-

practically running to lunch i try to find annie as soon as possible. i see her, taylor and mindy at our lunch table.

"woah slow down chica," annie said as i quickly sat next to her.

"read this!" i placed my phone in the middle of the table so everyone could read it. i wait patiently for them to read the messages.

"devon, how'd did you manage that?" annie asks. "girl message him back! you said you would!"

"devon who is this guy?" taylor said taking my phone to look at his profile.

"i obviously have missed a lot." mindy was confused.

"ok so i went out with annie and her boy toy and he brought his friends. then everyone left leaving just him and i, well, and jackie. so he walked me home and annie says 'we hit it off'." i explain.

"devon he's a cutie and has a lot of followers." taylor handed me my phone back.

"he is cute and apparently he's pretty big in the hockey world. did you guys know he was drafted by the flyers?" i was gushing over her proving annie right, i do like him.

"awe devon has a crush!" annie giggled.

"ugh, look is it ok if i go with him instead of you?" i turn to her.

"yes! of course! now message him back so you know when to be there." she insisted.

so i messaged him back, he told me to meet him at the rink after i got out of school. for the rest of the school day my mind was on what could possible happen with carter. 

-

[a/n double update woo whoop. also feel free to correct any mistakes i make!]