Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The understory of the jungle was think with low hanging vines and branches. The heat of the day made the humidity even more unbearable, causing most of the crew to whine and complain. No more so than Jack.

To Angelica, he was acting like a child. Whining and winging about every little bug that flew past his face. Jack's noticeable fear of spiders was proving to be quite a nuisance. At first it was funny, but after the third or forth time, it became ridiculous.

As Angelica strode smoothly forward pushing back the vines and stepping over the roots of the large trees, Jack stumbled and crashed his way over and through ever bit of nature in his range. He was as graceful as a bull in a china shop.

Streams of golden light, illuminated the mist in the air, causing it to dance around as she sighed deeply. They had been trudging around in this jungle for most of the day, and no Barbossa.

Angelica ducked under a thick branch and glanced down at the compass. It pointed straight ahead as it had done for hours. She looked back up and groaned to herself, "He better be on this dam island....". She looked up squinting as she passed a stream of light that found it's way through the thick layer of leaves and down to the ground. Suddenly a loud gun shot cracked through the air in the distance causing her to stop still, as the faint sound of distressed birds followed.

She scanned the jungle around her, putting a hand slowly to her hilt. "We'd be close..". Jack's deep rough voice made her jump noticeably. She looked to her side where jack now stood femininely, completely erasing any sort of manliness had the second before. Not that he had much to start with in her opinion.

She breathed out loudly and wiped the sweat from her forehead. She scanned jack while thinking of something to reply with that didn't include any sarcasm. The visible skin of his chest glistened as sweat dribbled down from his drenched bandana. Angelica snapped the compass closed and handed it back to Jack. She looked behind as the crew started to come into view. "Get the men to hurry up, I don't plan to do any rescue missions...". Jack looked down at her and frowned while shoving the compass into his pant pocket.

"Since when did I start take'n orders from you?". Angelica glared harshly back up at him. "Just do it will you....". She spat and stomped away.

-

Jack watched her walk forward and seemingly out of ear shot. "Just do it will you....". He said mimicking Angelica when he felt she was at a safe distance. He scoffed lightly while turning around to half of his red faced and sweaty crew. They looked as if they'd run a marathon, bent over and breathing heavily. "I didn't pick the slowest bunch of bilge rats did i? Get off ya ass' and move!". Jack clapped his hands as the crew groaned all at once. "Can't we ave a rest cap'n?". A man complained. "If ya want a break, take it up with er". Jack threw a thumb over his shoulder in Angelicas's direction. Jack could practically hear the man gulp. "Err... I think I'll be fine...". The man along with the others started to pick up their pace to rejoin with Angelica's. Gibbs plodded up to his captains side puffing loudly. "I see ye be getting orders for ya misses?". Gibbs smiled with a hand on his beer belly. He felt his stomach flip over realizing at what he said. Jack put a finger out in front of Gibbs' nose. "Watch it...". He said sternly but Gibbs just chuckled. He could see jack going red, or redder.

"I remember when you were all chuffed and were plan'n to ma-". Jack cut in before Gibbs could finish. He wasn't about to have Gibbs bringing that up incase Angelica was in ear range. "Don't, finish that...". Gibbs raised his eyebrows as jack cleared his throat and strode forward, trying to out walk him. Gibbs had become an older, chubbier man over the years and avoiding a conversation had become as simple as fast walking.