Chapter 8

-Chapter 8-

The sun was low on the horizon and the wind had picked up. It whistled as it played with the sails, and the sea had become rough. The spray of the salty sea splashed up onto the deck, wetting it, making the wood become darker. The crew were resting as their jobs were done for the day. The soft strum of a guitar and deep voices of the drunk crew were drowned by the crashing of waves against the ship.

Angelica stood there once again, leaning on the rails, looking out to sea, watching the waves roll and the sun set slowly. A soft numb pain emerge from her arm as she look down to inspect it. She felt her arm throb. Angelica pulled back her blood stained sleeve to reveal a long gash in her arm. It bad become worse than before. "Mierda...." (Shit....) She spun around and leant her back against the rails. It had been just a small scratch before, but some how it had opened. She cringed at her arm and carefully touched it with her fingers. A small scratch at sea, could become your worst nightmare. She sighed. "Damit jack... You had to distract me". Angelica knew she should've cleaned it and covered it when it was only small. She had been so wrapped up in jack, she had completely forgotten about her arm, and that was this morning. He wound was hot, and around it her skin was swollen and pink.

She let go of her arm, and rubbed her temples. "No está bien..." (Not good...). It was infected. Of all the things to happen. Angelica knew if she didn't get into now, she could die. She sighed and pulled her hurt arm into her chest, cradling it. "Could this get any worse?".

-

Jack stood at then helm, letting the breeze struggle to lift his thick dreads. He sniffed the air deeply and let out a sigh. "Ahhhhhh...". He could smell the saltiness in the air, it was think, so thick indeed that if you stood out in the breeze for to long, you would end up with a salt film on your skin. He ran his hands up and down the spokes, as if it was a woman. He had to admit it, it wasn't that bad of a ship. It was bigger and faster than there last one. Still, he couldn't stop reemerging the fact that it was a navel ship. He also couldn't stop thinking about that man. What he said, kept rattling around in the back of his mind.

He usually let things like this slid down with a bottle of rum, and in the morning, along with a lovely headache, would be forgotten. He look down at the compass that he sat on a small ledge attached to the helm and smiled. He managed to get the heading from Angelica again. Jack couldn't understand why she seemed so distressed when providing one. At least it was better than jack himself having to do it. He cringed showing his teeth at the thought. His compass was not being very friendly to him of late. It liked to point to a certain person that he was having emotional troubles with. He didn't want to name names right now. He looked up and over the ship. The sun peaked around the sails as they blew out. Shots of blinding light hit his eyes making them water slightly. He look down escaping the sun to the deck. It was quiet and dark. The sun had set just enough, that ships deck had blue tint. He scanned around seeing if anyone was still out.

He looked around slowly as his eyes caught Angelica. A soft smile protruded onto his face unknowingly. He eyed her up and down, taking in every curve. But suddenly he frowned. He noticed the way she held her arm. She squinted and leaned forward slightly over the wheel. As his eyes adjusted, he could see her arm. She held it close. Jack remember her hurting her arm, she told him it was just a scratch. He moved his eyes up to her face, that's when he went into alarm. She had he faced scrunched up and bowed, implying that she was pain.

Jack felt panic rush over him. He walked fast down the stairs and over to her. "Angie?". She looked up as jack cupped her face with his hands, ignoring his pride. "Are you ok?". He moved his head back and looked down at her arm. He cringed. He removed his hands from her face back to his sides. "Jesus...". Angelica groaned and leaned her head back. "Is this.....". He look back up at Angelica. "The cut?". She moved her head back and frowned. "Yeah..". Jack could hear pain thinking coating her voice. It hurt him to see her in pain. Just the thought of Angelica pricking her finger made him shudder. He slowly graphed her arm and twisted it to get a better look. "Ahh! Careful!". Angelica snatched her arm back into her chest. Jack flashed his teeth and put his hands up. "I..I..I'm sorry..". Jack smiled trying to gain her trust. She frowned and slowly moved her arm back into jacks grip. He softly put his thumb near the edge of the gash. He felt Angelica's arm tense. "Relax darling... It will make it bleed...". Jack looked up into her eyes. "Ead Into the cabin". Jack smiled warmly and let go of her arm.