Chapter Three: Telepathic

• Dedicated to Andrea Kircher

        I did fall into the hold of darkness in a way I feared the most. I lost myself, I gave up emotions and gave up ever being free. Truth be told, it was a release. My parents’ death seemed so far away and as though it belonged to someone else. It had been seven years since I have seen the world through my own eyes and I had forgotten its touch. I followed orders, trained and let them make me into a monster. All because it was easier than fighting back. I had fought for three years before I started crumpling and since then my life in Cadmus was much easier.  Nightmares no longer plagued me and my sleep was blissfully dreamless. Until they gave me the ability of telepathy.

        I found myself in a minute wooden room looking at pictures and papers about….me.  Black hair got in my eyes and I moved it out of the way. “Where is she? I know she is still alive, I just don’t know how.” I found myself saying. Wait this isn’t me, I was in someone else’s head! I watch from this girl’s point of view as she tried to track down where I was. She worked over the pages for hours until the sound of a slamming door echoed in the house.  The girl scrambled to put away the pages and hide them under her mattress before her door opened. A smaller girl with blond hair stood in the doorway.

        “Dad’s back and he is drunk again,” the blond girl whispered. The girl (who’s head I was in) strode over and held her.

        “Don’t worry Christine I won’t let him touch you,” she murmured. Christine whimpered.

        I woke up with a gasp; there could be no way that I was actually in someone else’s head. My stomach churned and I knew that I had really been. That had snapped me out of my trance like state and threw me into a rude awaking. I had let them make me into a monster. For what reason, I do not know. I climbed out of bed and place my hand against the grey door and listened. The low hum of data was picked up in my now super hearing ears. I closed my eyes and let my mind drift into the computer. Streams of data were wiping past me and I ran through the computer. I had only done this once and it was in a lab testing faze done yesterday. I scrolled through data and slipped through firewalls, it seemed so easy. I search my name and found what was call project Light-numberone. Shifting through it, I found what I had been looking for. I stumbled back from the doors and tripped. My mind was in complete shock. Did they honestly believe I would destroy the world's hope for them? I struggled back in my bed and forced myself to sleep.  I needed to act as though I didn’t know and if my small plan worked they were never going to be able to stop me.

        I woke up with James worried face above me. “Carol,” he said, “what were you doing last night?”

        I sat up and replied gently, “practicing. I woke up and wanted to make sure I had perfect everything.”

         He sighed and relaxed, “we thought you were trying to contact some, but it seems as though you are on board for everything.” 

         My mind flinched, “so what are we going to do today?”

        He glanced at his clipboard and mumble, “if only they didn’t rush.” He straightened up and said, “We are doing our last test, after this you will be ready. Now come along and follow me to the test room. “ I got up and followed him out. He looked as though he wanted this test to be delayed or postponed. I let my mind wonder and it seemed as though I could sense everyone’s mind. I almost froze in my tracks but kept going, this was a secret I needed to keep. James strapped me in the pod and closed the transparent casing.  “Carol this is going to make your skin and your bones unbreakable, but before that we are going to take so blood. Okay?” his voice muffled by the pod’s doors. I nodded and the needles punctured my skin all over my body. The pierced through muscle and entered me bones causing sharp pain to come from all over my body.  I let my mind drift from my body like I always did when things got painful.

        I could feel the minds around me so I decided to test and see if I could get in their mind. I moved into James mind and found his thoughts filled with concern.She must be feeling a lot of pain right now and I haven’t even put the serum in.  I slipped out and went into the mind of Henry (aka the only redhead).  Why do I always run into walls? I almost laughed but slipped out of his mind. I kept going into peoples mind and I saw many strange things. That is how I met Superboy.