Chapter Eleven: The Trap

(Angel’s P.O.V)

                I made Bruce rest again while I decided to go up on the roof. It was night but the smug and lights of the city blocked out the stars. I sighed and rolled over on my stomach to watch the street. The usual deserted street was dark and quiet. Most of the street lights had broken so it seemed as though parts of the neighborhood where swallowed by darkness. I suddenly noticed someone across the street that seemed to be just standing there watching the house. I froze, how did I not notice him before? I was about to go back inside when Bruce got on the roof. “Hey Angel, what are you doing,” Bruce asked. I glance at him then back across the street and the man had disappeared. “What’s wrong,” Bruce asked.

                “Nothing,” I said as I rolled over to face him. I smiled at him, making him smile. To me he was a lot like a father and it made it easier to believe that maybe I would be able to fight against the control of Cadmus. Bruce laid down next to me and looked up at the sky.

                “To bad you can’t see the stars here,” he said as he hugged me with one arm. I sighed and closed my eyes. I was surprisingly tired and wanted to go to sleep. “Sleepy huh,” he said chuckling as I nodded, “well let’s get you inside.” After he stood up he bent down and picked me up. I was extremely light so he could carry me with just one hand. I ended up falling asleep while he carried me back down to the room.

(Bruce’s P.O.V)

                Angel, who was so sweet, fell asleep in my arm. I smiled and started to lay her down on the bed, but she started squirming when I did. I pick her back up and decided to hold her for a while. She was surprisingly lighter than she looked, (which she didn’t look like much). She had her head rested on my chest while I looked outside. I glanced across the street and froze, making Angel stir. Is that somebody watching the house?  When I had glanced back, he was gone. I must be just tired, I’ll just go lay down. I glanced over at Flame, who was tinkering with an old TV set. “So what are you trying to do,” I asked her as I laid down still holding Angel.

                “Just trying to get this thing working,” Flame said as she messed with it. I laughed and leaned back closing my eyes. “Does it ever bother you that Angel had to watch her parents get murdered just so someone could try to make her into a monster,” she said causing me to frown. I opened my eyes to find her next to the bed.

                “Yes,” I said, “they took everything from her just to try to make her their puppet. We’re lucky they didn’t succeed on making her a monster.” I stroked Angel’s hair. How someone could do that to her was beyond me. She mutter something about me in her sleep, it sounded almost like she had called me father.

                “Well, I am going to my own room, so night,” Flame said as she walked out and flipped off the lights. I closed my eyes and sighed listening to the slight breeze. It seemed to echo in the house as though there was a hole or an open window somewhere. I flicked the covers over us and started to drift off to sleep.

                I was running down an alley laughing. “Look my I am Zorro,” I said laughing while I wielded a rolled up newspaper. “Don’t go too far Bruce,” my father called. “I won’t,” I yelled back and ran to the end of the alley. I wasn’t paying attention and I ran into a tall man. “Whoa, who are you,” I asked. The man glared down at me and pulled out a gun.

                I jerked awake gasping. I got up and paced the room, trying to get the memory out of my head. “Are you okay, Bruce,” Angel asked from the doorway. She must have gotten up before me.