Chapter ~Fifteen~

Ryder can be SUCH a jelous pineapple! Okay, so I just realized something: my new story? Listen, don't touch? Has more comments than this story! and it's like ten chapters shorter! :/ yes, even I can do the math!

oh well. SO, IS ANYBODY TEAM MATTSON?! just wondering, cuz everyone seems to hate him as much as Ryder.

Comment, vote, fan, you know the drill. ah whatever, just read! k, bi bi!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.:~* NATHAN *~:.

I think I did something wrong. Ryder seemed mad. After Marcus came back, from doing whatever Kristy needed his help with, Ryder did his best to control his speech and only talk about the project.
            Marcus lived by Ryder, we were about to part ways and I turned to say bye, when Ryder walked ahead.
            No bye? Thanks.
            "Don't worry about him, his time of the month. Hey, we're going to the movies tomorrow since it's Saturday. You're coming right?"
            "Sorry, busy." I answered immediately. Actually. I needed to go around looking for temporary jobs. The cafe was closed tomorrow.
            "Doing what?"
            "Um, work."
            He smiled mischievously. "Where?"
            "The cafe." I lied easily.
            "You're a good liar. That's not a good thing. I know it's closed, that's why Kristy is coming. You're coming too, don't try to get out of it. I'm paying so don't worry. See you tomorrow then. Bye."
            "Wai-"
            "Bye!" He shouted again and ran off to catch up with Ryder.
            But I don't want to waste my time at the...movies? I've never gone to the movies. Do people there have good pay?

~
~
"Nathan, I need to buy you new clothes, those are old." Kristy eyed my jeans and T-shirt. What was she talking about? They were still big on me!
            "Whatever, let's get this over with." I grumbled. I didn't want to be here.
            I didn't even know this town had a movies cinema. Apparently this was where people went on the weekends, either to the movies or arcade, then the food court.
            Ryder and Marcus came together whereas Kristy came by and we walked together. She really did know where I lived, which is really disturbing.
            I felt weird being surrounded by so much people. I was only wearing a long sleeve. I planned on wearing a huge sweater but Kristy made me take it off before we left, since it was hot.
            I tugged on my sleeves and looked at the ground. Why did Marcus bring us to the movies? And why was Kristy here? They just met yesterday!
            "Hey!" Marcus waved as they approached. I found myself looking at Ryder, who dressed casually but still managed to look...I shook my head fiercely. No. Bad Nathan.
            Was he feeling better? I wonder why he was mad yesterday. He looks better, but he didn’t acknowledge us yet. Maybe he didn't want to be here as much as I.
            "So, what were we going to see?" I asked.
            "Chic-flick." Marcus responded.
            Ryder made a disgusted face, "What? Seriously? Why am I here then?"
            He began walking away but Marcus grabbed his collar and hauled him back. "Come on, Kristy wants to see it."
            Ryder looked at her. "Why are you here?"
            She pouted. "I'm Nathan's best friend. I go where I want."
            Ryder shook his head. "I'm not sitting through an hour of watching a messed up couple getting more messed up before one of them dies, then the best friend steals the girl."
            "Fine." Marcus said raising his hands in defense. "I'll go with Kristy. Nathan you want to come?"
            "I'm going home." I dead-panned. I began walking away but Kristy grabbed my arm that I yanked away frantically.
            "Sorry, wrong arm." She said apologetically, I shrugged. "Don't leave! Hey, you and Ryder can go to another movie and we'll all meet at the arcade, okay? Just stick together and we'll go play some games later."
            "Why? I have to-" I stopped and glanced at Marcus. Hah, he was the only one that didn't know about me. Finally, someone that didn't know my life story! "Never mind."
            "Great. Here, I'll still pay for your tickets." Marcus handed Ryder a twenty but he shoved it back.
            "I have my own money."
            He shrugged and took Kristy's hand. "Kay, we'll see you guys later. Bye!"
            Why didn't they seem the least bit bothered that we weren't going with them? The ran off eagerly around the corner. Wait, the ticket booth was the other way. Did they already get their tickets, knowing we wouldn't want to watch a chick-flick? Oh my god, what were they planning?
            "Let's go." Ryder seemed a little void of emotion, but he seemed relax and not annoyed like yesterday.
            We got to the booth and I was about to pull out a ten from my ticket, but he put down a twenty and ordered for an action thing.
            "I could've paid for it." I said.
            "No, you couldn't have." He said in a matter-of-fact voice.
            I kept my gaze on my hands and the conversation kind of stopped there as we entered the movie. We were early, and the movie from before had just ended and people were leaving. Ryder led the way inside but I was caught in the wave. A couple people bumped into me and I decided to stick to the wall until the wave passed.
            A hand grabbed my right wrist and I was pulled through the doorway. I looked up at Ryder.
            "Thanks." He helped me and managed to remember that my left side was off-limits.
            I swear I saw a hint of a smile but he was already pulling to the middle row where the best seats were. We sat down and on cue the lights dimmed as the rest of the people entered. It was cold with the air-con in here and…
            It was dark. But the large screen in front shot shadows everywhere. After the endless credits, the sound got considerably louder and the movie began.
            There was a lot of action, and killing, and destroying. What were we watching? There was the occasional romance between the main guy and the girl. Near the end things started to get unexpectedly...intense. I averted my eyes and squirmed in my seat, holding my arms close.
            I shut my eyes and did my best to block out the sounds of their, er, moment. I felt extremely out of place. It just felt really, really wrong to be seeing someone do this willingly when I was…forced…I shook my head.
            Suddenly the cold air wasn't licking my face. Instead I opened my eyes to see nothing but black. I was warm, and this clean smell wafted up my nose. I felt an arm go around my shoulders and I was held awkwardly across the armrest.
            "I swear the sign said this was PG." Ryder muttered. I looked at what covered me. It was his black jacket.
            "It's fine." I said while feeling thankful he couldn't see how embarrassed I was.
            He scoffed and didn't let go the rest of the movie. Warmth from his side seeped through my clothing. It wasn't that bad. At least no one could see us. Or my blush.
            The movie ended with the credits rolling by so fast, there didn't seem a point in putting it in.
            "Let's go to the arcade." He suggested.
            "Um, okay." We got up and I noticed he didn't take back his jacket. In the crowded place, I felt a lot more secure with it. We entered the colorful arcade.
            "Have you ever played these games before?" He asked smiling. Bi-polar person. Now he feel likes smiling and acting normal? God, what the heck is wrong with this boy?
            "No. How?" I asked. He smirked and put my hands on the buttons of the arcade game. It was a skateboarding thing. Yes, I’ve been using ‘thing’ a lot. We watched an action thing then played a skateboarding thing. It made everything simpler.
            "Now press that button," He pointed across the wide panel, "Over there."
            "Which one?"
            He went behind me and maneuvered my hands. I watched the screen like it was witchcraft. His body warmth spread through the jacket and I was glad I was faced away so he didn't see my face. He was getting really close it only made me feel warmer. I thought we were in public?
            "You won." He whispered by my ear. A tingle shot down my spine and I jumped slightly.
            "Yay." I stepped away from the machine and smiled while looking anywhere but his face.
            He started laughing at my uneasiness. "Hey Nathan?"
            "Yeah?"
            "You didn't flinch when I touched you."
            "I didn't?" I asked in surprise. I looked at my hands. He's right. I hadn't flinched. In fact, I kind of missed the warmth he gave.
             "I guess you're getting used to me." He laughed again before muttering, "Gosh, where are those two?"
            Ryder tapped his foot and crossed his arms. He was adorable when impatient. The jacket was big, so the sleeves hung past my hands. I hid my laugh behind it. I couldn't help it, he was really cute. And Kristy said I looked like a puppy when I pouted.
            He looked at me with wide eyes. "What?" I asked still smiling.
            "N-nothing." He stammered. His cheeks flushed a deep red. "I'm going to get some drinks. Wait here for the other two."
            He rushed back inside the arcade where there was a concession bar. He was walking strangely and shuffled his feet.
            I leaned against the wall and inhaled deeply. I was thinking differently today. I kept calling him cute and adorable. Was it wrong? Because as far as I knew it was true. Even his scent I'll admit in my mind smelled really nice.
            "Since when were faggots allowed here?" I opened my eyes and glared at Jonah. I've never seen him outside of school, and I’d rather it have stayed that way.
            "Isn't that Ryder's jacket?" I looked at his friends. They didn't seem annoyed or anything at my presence. I think they were the rest of the guys on the soccer team.
            Jonah stared at the jacket. "Is Ryder here?" He asked.
            I wasn't sure what to say. Yes? He'd probably explode. No? I'd be lying, he would know it, and he would still explode.
            Jonah stepped up to my face. His friends shuffled uneasily behind him, knowing where this would lead. "What are you doing, faggot? Trying to get in his pants? Take his money?"
            "N-no!" I said in disbelief.
            "Then what?" He shoved me and I stumbled back. "Huh? Trying to turn everyone into a fag like you?"
            "I'm not-"
            He shoved me hard making me unable to finish that sentence.
            "You know, he's been hanging around you a lot. What, are you black mailing him or something? I'm getting tired of Ryder thinking you're worth sticking by. You're not. You're a worthless fag, so stay out of our lives." He yelled.
            "I'm not a-" I shouted, then finished my sentence quickly. "–a fag. I'm not a fag. So stop calling me that! What's your problem?"
            Jonah wasn't used to me shouting back, and he obviously didn't like it. He ripped the cover off his drink and before I knew it, the soda was dripping down my face and through my clothes. My hair became matted to my forehead and neck.
            I shut my eyes before the stinging of the drink and sputtered and shook my head to get rid of the droplets. Jonah laughed hysterically.
            I looked around. A lot of the teenagers had stopped what they were doing and now stared at the little circle. Some starting giggling and laughing at my state.
            "Come on Ms. Strauss, aren't you going to ask what I'll be having today? Aren't you going to smile like the good fag you are? Come on, smile! That's all you did the other day when you got wet on the floor. Did you have a hard time getting up?"
            More of the teens started laughing. I shook my head. That's all I could do.
            "Come on dude, stop it." One of his friends placed a hand on his shoulder. Jonah glared at him. "He's a fag, and fucking turning Ryder into one too! Go on, have some fun."
            Jonah nodded at the drink they all carried. I was rooted to the spot, afraid to say anything, afraid to run. I was embarrassed. All these people were laughing. With Jonah. At me.
            "Do it!" Jonah shouted at his friends. They were at lost at what to do. I stared at the nearest guy. He didn’t look me in the eye as he uncapped his drink and in a moment I was drenched again. His friends followed and the process repeated. Again. Again. And again. In less than a minute I was soaked with soda and juice.
            "Sticky much?" Jonah sneered. The guys behind him didn't laugh but didn't look at me either. The people around snickered and teased.
            I shook my head and stared at the ground. "What did I do? What did I ever do to you?!"
            He glared with that chilling grin that reassured me he was still mad. "Fag's don't need to do anything. You fucking deserve this."
            “Deserve this?” I whispered in disbelief.
            I began shivering, partly from the icy drinks. I felt a gaze that penetrated through all the others. Where was he? I looked to the side. Ryder stood there stock still with wide eyes and jaw dropped. He just stared. Why didn't he do anything?
            I looked back at Jonah, and his friends, then the people around me. All laughing. I was weak. Pathetic. With a last look at Ryder, I did the only thing I could.
            I ran.