Chapter ~Two~

Before I could get to work, or tutoring, I had to survive school. That was almost as impossible as making pigs fly. Not that I tried. But all the same, it was a hassle I’d rather avoid.
            The school rested on flat ground. It bordered the edge of the neighbored, meaning the café was about two blocks away.
             I hung my head down so I looked like any other student and shoved through the packed halls to class. If only it were like the movies where trouble arrived during class and the teacher would intercept before anything happened.
            Instead of making it safely to the room, something pulled me back with a force that sent me sprawling. Kids avoided the scene, knowing too well that this happened often. I looked around carefully, and then decided to get up before I got trampled. I picked myself up but no sooner was I shoved forward. Again I went sprawling.
            Unlike at the café, here, I didn’t have to force a smile.
            I scrambled to get up and shoved more frantically toward the class. It was in the hall over–in other words, too far.
            “Where you running to, Nate.”
            Great. I didn’t look back but continued forward, trying to make it look like I wasn’t running for my life.
            I noticed the halls clearing slowly, which also revealed the sound of hurrying steps. I glanced behind and found my pursuers. Sure, they were on the soccer team, but I’ve been avoiding danger all my life. I swept into class before they could catch me.
            Math wasn’t a popular subject, so as suspected the few students unlucky enough to be moved to Advanced Algebra resided in the halls until the bell rang and they were forced to enter.
            Ms. Richmond glanced up at the doors abrupt open and smiled. She had brown hair graying at the roots, and metal rim spectacles crowned her hazel eyes. She was far one of my favourite teachers, and seemed to feel mutual.
            “Good morning,” I took a needed breath. “Ms. Richmond.”
            “Good morning Nathan.” She put down the papers she was reading and looked at me closely. “Is everything alright?”
            I nodded briefly. “Great.”
            “How’s work?”
            Again, I found myself wondering, how does everyone know about me? Then I remembered last year. We were given this huge project, involving volunteer work and the percentages from it and whatnot. I couldn’t spare the time and reluctantly filled her in on my situation.
            “Great.” I looked around the room–it was empty. I took a lucky seat on the side.
            “Earning enough?”
            “Yeah, pays still good.” I thought about something and added, “I’m managing another job now too.”
            She gave me her full attention. She was like a mother, always understanding and caring. She was much like Mrs. Kenneth, now that I thought about it, but more subdued and quiet.
            “Another job? Honestly Nathan, I don’t think you can handle it.”
            I waved her away. “It’s just tutoring.”
            “Who?”
            “Some guy named Ryder.”
            “Ryder Kenneth?” She asked in disbelief.
            I raised an eyebrow and nodded. “You know him?”
            She chuckled. “Know him? He’s my nephew.” My jaw dropped. Oh. Oh… “And, he’s in this class.”
            “What?” I was startled. I’ve never seen him in my class. Then I thought about it, and realized I barely knew anybody in my class in the first place. People who weren’t in any school sports were usually ignored, so it wasn’t like I had any friends in any of my classes.
            “He sits in the back.” She shook her head. “You’ve never noticed him?”
            “No.” I sighed. So I spent half the year not noticing such a jerk? “Wait, you said he’s your nephew?”
            “Yes, his mother is my sister. How did you manage to become his tutor? He needs it, but I never thought you would volunteer.”
            “I didn’t.” I grumbled. “His mother asked when they came to the café for dessert, and I couldn’t refuse.”
            She laughed. “Very typical. My sister is very persuading. And always meddling.” She adds with an undertone of warning. I didn’t understand.
            I pulled out yesterday’s homework and began today’s lesson as the class slowly filled in. I tried to ignore the students as usual, but wanted to be sure whether that idiot was in my class. Why would he take an advanced class if he couldn’t handle it?
            As I thought this, the dirty blond came walking in and headed for his seat in the back just as his aunt had said.
            He must have never noticed me before either. He was smiling like a turd and punching his friends playfully. That’s when I noticed, his friends
            I didn’t know they were in this class too! If I’d known most of the soccer team was in an advanced class with me, I would have dropped out, or worked harder to get to a higher class they wouldn’t be in. Especially if the very people here were the ones who liked to make my life misery at school.
            I slumped lower in the chair. Whenever I came to math, I always thought I’d have escaped the trouble. Well, that didn’t work when they were in this class too!
            This also got me thinking. Did that mean Ryder was on the soccer team? Then why has he never been with the group as they beat me up? Maybe he had, and I just never noticed.
            By the end of class I figured it was best to stay away completely. It seems I’m already on his list, and being at school surrounded by friends that are willing to beat me up, doesn’t seem like the best possible situation.
            I waited for the class to empty and him to leave. My mind was filled with the goal of not being seen. Which is why by the end of the day, I almost forgot about the sure-to-be nightmare.
            After school, I had ten minutes before my shift at the Rose started. So I would run. I was ready to take off out of the door if I hadn’t slammed into something big, and hard, and really familiar.
            I’m so dead.
            The force had sent me sprawling back onto the floor. Being the lazy boy he was, Marcus didn’t bother to pick me up for a punch but instead kicked me.
            The halls were sadly empty. This only encouraged the soccer players’ act of violence.
            “Hey fag, where’ve you been?” I was doubled over and holding my stomach when he decided to put in the effort to haul me up and punch me across the face. Hearing the second word he muttered, I cowered into myself.
            I wondered briefly where his friend, Jonah, was, but decided to focus on not getting punched. I wasn’t sure why they chose me to bully, but it seemed to bring them obvious joy.
             There was a pause in his punch before he decided. “You know what? I’m pretty sure Jonah would like to have a punch at you as well. I’m busy today, expect it another time.”
            He threw me down and I landed hard on my side. He stalked away. Great. It looks like I was going to die tomorrow instead of today.
            I got up and ignored the throbbing of my side and checked my watch. He made me late. I took off at a sprint down the neighborhood. I barely noticed the limp in my stride but if I ignored it, surely everyone else will too.
            I arrived at the café out of breath but ready to begin work. Kristy met me in the back as I entered.
            “Hey Na…” Her smile turned upside down and strode over to where I stood. “What happened? You’re bleeding.”
            I am? She took a tissue and wiped the corner of my mouth, showing me the blood.
            “Oh sorry. I didn’t notice I bled when…I fell?” I finished lamely.
            She rolled her eyes. “What happened?”
            “I fell.” I answered more confidently.
            “I seriously doubt that unless the ground became alive and punched you. There’s a bruise…” She touched the side of my face but I jumped and pulled away. “Who hit you?”
            I shrugged. Kristy knew to a degree I got bullied. Despite being the same age, she was very sympathetic.
            “I’m fine.” I went to my locker to retrieve my uniform then before entering the bathroom called, “Get to work.”
            I closed the door before she could answer and hastily started to change my clothes. I spared a glance in the mirror and stopped, as usual, as I saw the marks on my body. Most of the scars weren’t new–some being the long streaks on my back that hadn’t faded since then. A new bruise was bluing on my stomach. I hurried to pull on my shirt and vest, stopping only momentarily to look at my left wrist.
            Some scars don’t fade.

_________________________________________________________________

oooh!!!! so somethings happening isn't it?

How do you guys like it so far? I know, boring and slow, but boring chaps are VITAL to a story. Some of the time. ANYWAY, VOTA AND COMMENT!!!! I WANNA NO HOW MUCH MY SLAVE SUCKS AT EDITING!