Lesson

It was dark by the time they all made it to the cabin. After the day we had, we all thought it best to just relax and enjoy our new safe haven for the night. Noah, Carl, Carol and I played monopoly that someone found in a closet while Maggie watched and rocked Judith to sleep. Gabriel and Eugene sat quietly on the easy chairs reading their respective books. Rick, Michonne, Daryl and Glen sat around the kitchen table discussing a plan for the next couple of days. Rosita and Abraham disappeared. I assume they snuck away to have sex in one of the bedrooms. According to Maggie and Glen, they had been at it like rabbits any time they got the chance. Sasha kept watch by the window. She has been real quiet since her outburst earlier. I get that she is angry and grieving from losing her brother, but I hope that anger doesn't drive her to make any more stupid decisions. As Michonne says, "Stupid gets you killed." I know Sasha would never forgive herself if something happened to one of us because she messed up in the heat of the moment. We got lucky today, and in this world, luck runs out.

The woods are calm and cool with the morning air. I can still see dew on the leaves as Daryl and I made our way deeper to find a good spot for our lesson. He is going to teach me how to shoot my recurve bow. I am really excited, but not looking forward to the sore muscles that I know are to come. As excited as I am, I am also nervous. What if I am terrible? What if I the arrow doesn't fly but face plants not even a foot in front of me? What if I can't even pull the bowstring back? That would be so embarrassing. I shake the thoughts away. It doesn't matter. Daryl is a good teacher and I typically pick up new skills fast.

My mind wanders to yesterday, to that moment with Daryl. What was that? He doesn't like to touch or be touched. Yet he let his fingers linger in my hair for just a second too long. Not that I am complaining. It was almost like he couldn't help himself. Then he grabbed the side of my face with his hand and rubbed my cheek with his thumb. It was such an intimate gesture. Finally, the kiss... yes it was only on the forehead but still it was tender. I know he cares for me. I just don't know how he cares for me. Am I a friend or sister to him. Or are his feelings romantic? Maybe after our talk the day of Tyrese's funeral has warmed him up to the idea of us being together. Maybe I am just reading too much into the whole thing. Maybe-

"Beth!" His voice is sharp, calm causing me to jump but not panic.

I look at him and he just stares at me expectantly. "Yeah?"

"Said here's good 'nough."

"Okay." I stop walking and throw my bag on the ground. "Teach me yoda."

He just scoffs and begins his lesson. He teaches me about the bow itself, explaining to me each part of the bow and how it works. Then he moves on to the arrows, the difference between feather and plastic fletches, and how to position the arrow on the bow. He takes a moment to cut a target on the tree directly in front of us and demonstrates how to shoot with proper form. Naturally, every arrow finds the target he has marked. I listen intently, trying to retain all the information he is giving me. It looks easy enough, but I quickly discover that is not the case when he hands me the bow and allows me to shoot. My very first shot the arrow landed two feet in front of me and I hit my left forearm with the bowstring. Not only did it hurt, I was completely mortified. Thankfully, Daryl didn't laugh. He simply just gave me a couple of corrections and let me continue.

As time goes on, my form improves but I have yet to land a single arrow on the targeted tree, let alone the target itself. I try and try again becoming more frustrated with each shot. Daryl has been more than patient, commenting when necessary, and encouraging me every now and then which helps. I look over at him. He just nods, so I grab another arrow from my sheath, let out a deep breath, and take aim. This is going to be the one. I just know it. I mentally go through a check list making sure my posture is correct, I set on my anchor, and I have back tension. I am going to hit the target this time. I shoot, and the arrow once again flies past the intended tree. Although, this time instead of planting itself into the ground, it finds its home in a tree that is just a little farther back and to the left of the targeted tree. "UGHHHH!! This sucks! We have been out here all morning and I have yet to hit that stupid tree!"

"Well... at least you hit a tree." Daryl jokes. I just glare at him. I am in no mood for jokes right now. He shifts a little under my gaze and runs a hand through his hair. "Why don't we just call it for today?"

That is the last thing I want. "No. We aren't going nowhere until I at least hit the tree. I don't have to hit the target, just the tree." I know I am being stubborn, but I don't care.

"A'ight. Take a break though. Ya ain't gonna hit nothing when you're this frustrated." He says standing up from the log he has been sitting on. I know he is right, so I just nod and walk towards him. He gestures with his hand for me to give him the bow. I hand it over and take his place on the log. He gathers up the arrows and puts them back in the sheath. He knocks an arrow, takes aim, and hits the target with ease making me scoff. Show off. He ignores me and takes another shot.

"Where did you learn how to shoot?"

"Merle. My old man taught him once on a hunting trip with my uncle when I was a baby. When I was old enough, Merle taught me. He wasn't very good but good enough to show me the basics. I's a natural and got better than him real fast. As I got older, I played around with several different kinds of bows 'fore settling on the crossbow."

"So, you've always been a bowman."

"Yeah I guess I have." We fall into our comfortable silence again. He retrieves his arrows and restocks the sheath and resumes shooting. With each shot, I notice he is sweating from the heat. The sweat glistens off his strong biceps as they flex drawing the bow back. I have force myself to look away. I don't want him to catch me staring at him like he is some piece of meat. Thankfully, he finishes shooting and turns to me, "Breaks over. Your turn."

Instead of sitting back down, he stands in front of the log. "A'ight. Ready?"

I knock an arrow, "Yup."

"Take your stance." He circles me as I hold the bow and arrow in position. He tilts his head, "Open up your hips more."

I adjust my hips, "Like this?"

He comes around me, "No like this." Then grabs my hips with both hands and moves me so hips are in the correct position. His hands stay for a moment then he lets me go but doesn't back away. "See, now your whole body is pointing towards the target."

I can feel his breath on my neck and it is making it very hard to focus on the target. My body is still tingling from his touch. I can't seem to speak so I just nod. "What have you been using as an anchor?"

"My cheek." I manage to say.

"Try your mouth instead."

"Okay." I move to use my mouth as an anchor. He is still right behind me. Not that I mind the closeness, but it is very distracting.

"Focus on your target. Take a deep breath. When you exhale, release your arrow." His voice is low and husky. God is he trying to kill me. I do as I am instructed. I inhale and hold it. I see my target and I exhale releasing my arrow. It zips through the air landing on the tree just below the target.

I squeal with excitement. "Oh my god, I did it."

I turn to Daryl and throw my arms around him. He hugs me back. "Good job, Evergreene." I pull back to look at him. He has that look from yesterday. Suddenly, I am very aware of my body pressed up against his. I watch as his eyes leave mine and look at my lips. He slowly leans into me. This time I react. I close my eyes, my hands pull his neck closer to me and my lips meet his. Slowly his mouth opens and deepens the kiss causing me to let out a small sigh. I can't believe this is happening. I have been kissed before, but no one has kissed me like this before. I feel it everywhere. My knees are weak and I hold on to him tighter to keep from falling. Daryl stiffens up at this and pulls away quickly, but he doesn't let me go. His expressions is serious as his eyes dance around my face gauging my reaction. All I can do is gape at him still in shock of what just happened. He clears his throat and slowly backs up. "We should be getting back." Before I can say anything else, he is gathering up our stuff and begins walking towards the cabin.