Party

Beth

When we arrive to Alexandria, Aaron shows us where to put Buttons for the night and we head home. We are all tired but we still have to go to Deanna's party in a hour. Rick told us on the way back to the house we'd be sleeping in our own rooms tonight. At the mention of our rooms, Daryl looks a little nervous. When we get to the house, he and Rick talk to Aaron and Eric for a minute, while I take the opportunity to get our room ready. When Daryl steps up onto the porch a few minutes later, I am waiting for him. I silently grab his hand and lead him to the room I picked out for us. We go down the stairs to the fully finished basement.

He studies the area. It's basically like a mini apartment down here. It has a common area, a bathroom and a huge bedroom. I turn to him suddenly nervous myself. "Hope it's okay that I kinda decided a room for us. When I saw the basement I knew you would probably be more comfortable down here, away from the others."

He nods but doesn't say anything as he follows me into our room. He takes his crossbow off and sets it beside the bed. His attention turns to the clothes I set out on the bed. I felt weird laying out his clothes but I thought if I made it easy for him, he wouldn't try to bail on the party. I know he's been a little overwhelmed by this place and any decisions I could eliminate for him, I thought it might help. His fingers touch the gray flannel I picked out for him. "This for me?"

I smile and shrug. "Yeah if you like it. But you don't have to. You can pick out something else. I was just trying to help."

Thankfully he doesn't seem bothered by it. He looks at the outfit I have picked out for myself. It's a simple lightweight red sweater and some jeans. I clear my throat, "We better get ready. Deanna's party is starting soon."

He huffs, "We really gotta go to that?" I give him a look. "Jus' kiddin'...... maybe." I slap his arm and he raises his hands in surrender with a slight smirk. He gestures to the bathroom, "I'm gonna get washed up."

I brush my hair and change my clothes. I put on a pair of dainty gold earrings. I study myself in the full length mirror beside the dresser. Thankfully my hair isn't looking too wild so I can leave it down. Daryl comes in fully dressed for the party. I smile at him in the mirror. His eyes find mine and he dips his head in a hello. He walks up behind me and looks at me in the mirror. Something about the look on his face makes me ask. "What?"

He shakes his head slightly and mumbles, "Nothin'."

I roll my eyes at him. "Don't nothin' me." He huffs a laugh at my impression of him. "What is it? Is there something wrong with my outfit?" The way he was looking at me has me nervous. Maybe there was a big rip in my sweater or something?

Again he shakes his head. "Nah, nothin' like that. I jus'... I like ya in red." A blush spreads across his cheeks as one spreads across my face too. The butterflies get more intense when he reaches out and grabs my waist with his big, strong hands. "Yer beautiful."

The grin on my face grows to huge smile. "Why thank you Mr. Dixon." I turn around in his arms and let my hands rest on his chest. Unable to resist, I rise up on my tip toes and press my lips to his. He releases a deep rumbling hum of appreciation that fills the room as he kisses me back. I can feel the tension melt off of him. My fingers play with the back of his hair and he pulls me impossibly closer to him. I break the kiss. He kisses my forehead and I sigh with contentment. I look back up at him and smile. "You ready to go?"

"Not after that." He quips.

I release my hold on him and grab his hand. "Come on."

We walk hand in hand on our way to the party which surprises me. I figured as soon as we left the house he'd let go of my hand but it was the opposite, he readjusted to hold it better and kept walking to my delight. We are almost to Deanna's house. From the outside, we can see the party in full swing. I feel Daryl stop. I look over at him and I can see the hesitation all over his face as he looks at the front door.