Whispers

Daryl

Walking with the Wolves dressed like walkers messes with your mind to say the least. Everything's wrong. Everything ya see tells your brain that they are walkers, the way they look and move, but ya know they ain't. Knowing they ain't walkers makes ya feel safe but ya ain't. The proof is in the rope around your wrists, in the taste of the gag in your mouth and in the tug of them pulling ya along. Everything ya hear when they moan and groan tells your mind they're walkers until ya hear them whisper.

"Guardians, ahead."

It's a vicious cycle that keeps going around and around. It's creepy as shit and ya can't make it stop. It's like you're stuck on a sick cycle carousel. Your insides war with themselves, unsure whether ya should stay on and fight or step off and take flight to run for your life. Your mind tells ya one thing but your senses and instincts tells ya another. It's a disorienting.

We've been walkin' for miles, goin' slower than molasses. Glenn and I start in the middle of the pack but we inch our way further and further towards the back. One wolf assigned to' each of us, pullin' us along, walkin' us like dogs. Davidson (or what used to be Davidson) leads the way to Alexandria. If he stumbles off course, Alpha or Beta push him back in the right direction.

Six walkers stumble around up ahead and we're headed right for 'em. I try t' settle my nerves but the only protection these assholes gave us is a little walker blood smeared on our face and clothes. Hopefully it's enough t' mask our scent. The walkers could give us the distraction we need to get away. There are 18 wolves, 2 of us and 6 walkers, it'll be difficult but we can do it.

I glance over at Glenn and I can see his brain reeling. His head turns and his eyes meet mine. I give him a nod. This is our chance. He nods in understanding. He twists his wrist and uses one finger to tap his wrist. We gotta time this right. I nod t' let him know I agree. We continue on. The walkers have to merge with the wolves for this to work. Three more walkers show up on either side of us. They come up and start walking with us and the wolves. They don't seem t' notice me and Glenn. Relieved for the moment, I look at Glenn, he looks as relieved as I feel. He holds up a finger and shakes his head once. Not yet. I nod again.

A few more minutes pass and we finally catch up with the other six walkers. They fall in step with our mini herd. Once they are good and mingled with the group, I know it's time. Glenn's already lookin' at me, waitin' for me to give the signal I'm ready. I rearrange the rope from my wrists and wrap the ends around my hands. Glenn does the same. We look at each other one more time and nod in unison. Now.

We lunge to the wolves in front of us and toss the rope up and over their heads. We hook the rope in their mouths gagging them from making noise. I reach for the knife on the wolf's hip and stab him four times in the side. I remove his gag and stab him again makin' him cry out in pain, gettin' the attention of the walker next t' us. It instantly is on the wolf and takes a huge bite out of his flesh. I peek over at Glenn as he drags a knife along his wolf's neck.

I look in front of us and see several wolves watchin' us. Whispers hiss through the group. "The prisoners... are escapingggg."

"Stoppp themmmm."

The group begins t' turn around toward us. Even though I know there are more wolves than walkers it's hard t' figure out which is which. A movement catches my eye. A hand moves faster than it should to grip a knife. Gotcha. I charge the wolf and take a swipe at 'em. They dodge my attack and try to get me in return. I throw a left hook and their body stumbles to the right where my knife is waitin' for them. They grunt in pain and I shove them towards the bodies comin' at me. Hands catch the Wolf. Something bumps into me and I realized it's a walker. I stab it in the head.