Cat

The next morning, we all are getting ready for the day eager to explore our new home. Some are starting their jobs today. Carol being one of them. She looks crazy in her cardigans and floral prints. She is making herself look weak and non threatening. She wants to blend in here so she can learn more. It's a smart play but I'm nervous what the information she receives could mean for us here. Rick might try to take the place. We could easily do it but that's not who we are. I want our addition here to help the people, not hurt them. We need to make this work. This is the kind of place we've been looking for. It's like what we wanted the prison to be. They just need to make some minor tweaks and some really big ones to security.

I haven't seen Daryl at all this morning. He normally wakes up before everyone else. I am curious where he ran off to. It doesn't take long before I get my answer. He is sitting on the porch again. Same spot as last night.

"Hey."

He looks at me. His eyes flick over me up and down quickly. "You look nice."

I shrug because in my opinion I look normal, except for the fact that I'm in clean clothes and my hair is down. I look down at my outfit. I'm in clean jeans and a white Levi shirt. I didn't pick out anything in particular. I just grabbed some clean clothes. I smile at him. "Thanks." I nod my head toward the street. "You comin'?"

He lowers his head and shakes it once. "Nah, you go ahead."

I ask gently, "Are you sure?" He nods. "Okay. Well I'll see ya later." I start to walk away but then turn back to look at him once more. "Love you."

A smile ghosts his face and I can see the tips of his ears turn red. "Love ya too, Evergreene."

A few hours later, I'm heading back home when I get stopped by a stranger. "Hey, you're Beth right?"

One look and I can tell he is one of Deanna's sons. He has got her eyes, nose, and face shape. He looks to be around my age, probably a little older. He is clean shaven and handsome in the boy next door kind of way. He smiles at me, patiently waiting for me to answer him. "Yes. Who are you?"

"Aiden. I'm Deanna's youngest son." Thought so.

"Nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too." He looks down at me and starts to chuckle.

"What?" I ask a little annoyed.

"Sorry." He rights himself and looks back at me again with a neutral expression. "Sorry, I just- I watched all the tapes last night. You're even prettier in person."

Is he hitting on me? "Thanks .."

"Are you coming to the party tonight?" He asks, eager to keep the conversation going.

"Yeah, probably." I reply, keeping it short and simple, hoping he will get the hint and let me go home.

"Good." He says, sounding way too happy about that. "Maybe after we could have some drinks out at the gazebo?"

Yup, definitely hitting on me. "I don't think so."

"Aww come on. Why not?" He pushes.

"Because I am engaged..." I state the obvious.

"Is that for real? I mean I get it being out there, you needed protection but now that you are here..." Aiden pauses for a brief moment. "...you're safe and you have options."

"Options? ...Like you?" He smiles and goes to speak but I stop him. "I didn't need protection out there. I can take care of myself. And I hate to burst your bubble, Aiden, but you aren't my type."