Eight - Talia

Ch8 - Talia 

The morning sun shone through the delicate lace curtains, leaving intricate patterns scattered across her pale green room.

Sitting up in bed, Talia stretched her arms above her head, enjoying the feeling of her muscles as they reached beyond their limits. It had been days since she'd had comfortable sleeping arrangements, and she was in no hurry to get up.

But her stomach had other plans. A loud grumble escaped, and she pressed a hand to her abdomen in a vain attempt to quiet the noise. Apparently, it was time to get out of bed.

Dressing quickly in a pale blue sundress, she ran her fingers through her short hair and wandered downstairs to see what was for breakfast. To her surprise, she found Mrs. Wilson alone in the kitchen, enjoying a cup of coffee and the current edition of Everglades Daily.

"Good morning, dear," Ms. Wilson said, smiling pleasantly. "How did you sleep?"

"Very well, thanks. The Green Room is quite comfortable - thank you for putting me there. It was the best night's sleep I've had in a long while." Talia smiled and then looked away, careful not to say too much.

Ms. Wilson observed her for a moment over the rim of her reading glasses. "I'm glad you like it. Can I get you a cup of coffee?"

"Yes, please. That would be lovely."

The woman stood up from the table and wandered over to the cupboard. Pulling out a mug, she asked, "How do you take it?"

"Black, please, no sugar," she requested. "On second thought, I will take some sugar. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Ms. Wilson released a silvery little laugh, "Well, aren't you as sweet as a peach! You are my guest, Talia. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Talia thought for a moment, "Not unless you can find me a job," she teased lightly.

Ms. Wilson's eyes brows shot up with interest. "You're looking for employment?"

Talia nodded as she accepted the warm mug. "I'm going to need a job if I plan on staying in town."

"Speaking of which," Ms. Wilson began, changing the subject, "I spoke with Charlie last evening about the rental property. He's almost done preparing it for the next tenant. He said he would be happy to give you a tour."

Talia beamed, "Really? You're sure it's no trouble?"

"Of course not, dear, that's what he does," she responded, setting down the newspaper and removing her glasses. "Well that and he works as a handyman."

Ms. Wilson was so easy to talk to Talia found herself wanting to learn more about her. "How many children do you have?" she questioned curiously.

The older woman smiled ruefully. "Charlie is my only child. I wanted to have more, but was unable to."

"I'm sorry," Talia said softly.

She shrugged. "Such is life, I guess. I suppose it just leaves me with more time for grandchildren!" she responded with a laugh.

"Do you have any?"

"Grandchildren? Not yet. Charlie was married once... But his wife died in a car accident two years ago. A drunk driver," Ms. Wilson said, shaking her head. "Emily was killed instantly. I guess that's the best way to go." She quickly dabbed at a tear, shining from the corner of her eye.

"Soon afterward, we found out she had been two months pregnant. Losing them both just about killed Charlie," she smiled sadly. "That's when he left Georgia and came back home."