Forty Seven - Charlie

Ch47 - Charlie

Charlie hopped into his truck and sped down the drive, trying to make sense of everything he had heard. The rain was just starting to fall from the dark clouds that hung heavy in the night sky. He turned on the wipers, leaving the windshield in a distorted haze.

The story he had just been told seemed so unbelievable, and yet—he believed it.  He had known all along that Talia—Sarah—had been running from something, he just never imagined it would be this big. Causing a fire? Faking her own death? Stealing someone else's identity? These were the kinds of twisted stories you only saw on bad made-for-TV movies—this wasn't real life! It seemed impossible. And then the murder of her parents... Was this girl for real? Who had that kind of bad luck and lived to tell the tale?

Him, that's who. He was no stranger heartache. If anyone could understand how unfair life could be, it would be him.

Charlie shook his head. As hard as it was to admit, the past several months were starting to make sense. A mysterious young woman, turning up in a small town out of the blue, with no references and not one belonging to her name. How skittish she would act around other people, as though she were afraid everyone was out to get her. The way she was reluctant to answer any questions about herself or her life before she came to Florida.

And now his mother...

There was a madman sitting right underneath her nose and she didn't even know it! What would he do if she had been hurt, or worse? Could he forgive Sarah for not having come to him sooner with the truth? He'd fallen in love with a woman who had a more complicated past than he had, and now they may all be forced to pay the price.

She brought him here...

Charlie shook his head. It's not her fault, he reasoned. She was running for her life. That man—her husband—would have killed her. She had no choice...

Conflicted, Charlie tried to focus on the slick road in front of him. He needed to get to the bed & breakfast quickly, there wasn't a moment to spare.

The passing trees moved violently in the wind as the rain started to fall harder, making the road more difficult to see. Charlie slammed on the brakes as something small and furry darted out across the street, causing his truck to fishtail wildly on the wet blacktop. He turned the wheel to straighten out the vehicle in the center of the lane, trying not to panic. Charlie took a deep breath, he needed to calm down. If he was going to be dealing with Steven, he needed to keep his head clear, it would do no one any good if he arrived all worked up.

Get a grip, man, you can't confront him like this! You'll only make the situation worse... he thought, trying to subdue his racing heart.

A few minutes later, he pulled into the drive of his mother's house. Every window presented a soft glow, giving off the appearance of an inviting, cozy homestead. He just hoped that whatever was waiting for him inside reflected the calm that illuminated from the outside. Reaching his hand into the glove-box, Charlie grabbed the gun that was hiding inside the compartment, loaded it, and safely tucked it into the waistband of his jeans. He jumped out of the truck and raced up to the house, flinging open the front door.

"What the—" Mrs. Wilson said, surprise covering her face. She stood up from her chair, dropping the cup of coffee she'd been holding in her lap. "Charlie—what in the world is going on?"

"Are you okay?" he demanded, rushing toward his mother and folding her into his arms.

"Yes, of course I'm okay. What's wrong?" She pulled away from him and ran her hands over the coffee that had spilled down the front of her apron. "You look like you've just seen a ghost!"

"Where is he?" Charlie asked, ignoring her question.

"Where is who?" 

"The new guest. The one that makes you uncomfortable," he responded impatiently. Looking around the house, he noticed it was empty. Not one person in sight. "Where is everyone?" 

His mother looked confused by his sudden appearance and agitated demeanor. "I had a couple of people check out today, and everyone else is walking around downtown, taking in the sites—or at least they were before the rain hit. I sure hope they have their umbrellas with them! Charlie—what is going on? You're making me nervous!" she scolded, her face a mask of irritated confusion.

"I need to know where the new guest is."

His mother's brow furrowed, "I don't know. I haven't seen him in a few hours. If you hadn't hung the phone up on me I would have told you. Why?" she demanded. "What is it?"

He let out a staggered breath. "Tell me again—what did you say his name was?"

"Charlie Wilson! I am not answering another question until you tell me what is going on! You're acting crazier than a pet coon!"

He lowered his voice and looked her square in the eye. "It's Talia. She's not who she says she is. Everything she's told us has been a lie," he said, shaking his head, still unable to believe it all himself. "But it's not her fault. She's been running from an abusive husband who almost killed her. And she thinks he may have tracked her down here. Now please, tell me again—what is this guy's name?" he asked, slowly. "I just need to hear it one more time...before I kill him."

His mother's face paled at his unsettling revelation. "It's Steven Austin," she whispered.

Charlie ran a hand through his hair and balled up his fist. 

"Is it him?" she finally asked.

Charlie could tell she was afraid to hear the answer, and he was afraid to give it to her, knowing it would change everything. "Yes."

Enid gasped. "He's not here, Charlie, I haven't seen him in hours! He even missed dinner. What should I do?" she cried, fear filling her voice.

Charlie let out a frustrated sigh, trying to decide what his next move should be. If Steven Austin wasn't there, then where the hell was he?

"Lock all the doors. If he comes back here, whatever you do, don't let him in. Call the cops." He paused as a thought suddenly came over him.

 My house...

He'd left Sarah alone, with nothing to protect herself. 

And with Winston sick...

She was truly defenseless.

What have I done...?

"On second thought, call the police now and tell them to get to my house." 

And he ran out the door before she could say another word.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Aahhhh! I can't take it!

If you liked this chapter, please remember to vote and comment! And thank you for reading The Secret. The next chapter will be up on Tuesday and the story will be completed next Friday with a double chapter day—only because the final chapter is short and I do not want to make you wait the whole weekend for the conclusion.  :)

If you've been enjoying this story I invite you to check out my current WIP called Down Came the Rain. It's a New Adult mystery/thriller with mature themes. Reader discretion is advised. 

This chapter is dedicated to reader @joumana0_0. Thank you so much for your unending support! I would also like to wish reader @dudequeen a very happy birthday—hope you have an AMAZING day!!!